All of us hope for training the perfect Dutch Smoushond, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams do come true when the training is performed with care and focus. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and want to be shown what is right, what isn’t, and proper socialization.
Puppies act like small children, they really need regular direction and teaching. Training a pup needn’t be a nightmare, all you need to think about are a few basic guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Dutch Smoushond
- Till your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you are unable to then you must definitely crate him. Design a routine for the pup, that will enable him to settle down very quickly. The routine has to incorporate things like hourly potty visits, feeding times, break periods, strolls, play time, exercise, and more. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to be bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to respect you. Dutch Smoushonds stay in packs and instinctively need a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will eventually become easy as the pup will heed orders at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training techniques. Don’t shout at, hit, or punish your Dutch Smoushond. It’s not only unkind but can easily result in behavioral issues. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could possibly wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is widely regarded as a helpful teaching tool. If you emphasize this, the pup will be taught that to experience anything like love, a walk, or snack, he must act properly.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not reinforce actions such as leaping, growling, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Applaud good behavior and just ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you should witness the Dutch Smoushond in the act and startle her by shaking a container of marbles. As soon as you have done this make him adjust his behavior and instantly give him a snack and appreciation. Dutch Smoushonds do not think of what took place earlier so scolding him after an event is useless.
- Always call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Dutch Smoushond will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggie needs to connect his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this occurs he will respond willingly as soon as you call out his name.
- Generate a training schedule that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Prolonged repetitive lessons can be boring and the Dutch Smoushond is going to lose interest in learning. Help make training enjoyable and use trick training to explain orders like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Bond with the Dutch Smoushond and both of you are going to like your lessons. The pup must hope for spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by running away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the puppy dog as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Dutch Smoushond will need to figure out how to be around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the pup when he is small to common activities and noises. Take him to the shopping centre/ park, present him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Learn all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are remedial lessons that every Dutch Smoushond puppy needs to grasp. Understand all the mannerisms and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to effectively teach the pup.
As a Dutch Smoushond owner you have several options. You might choose to train the Dutch Smoushond yourself or enlist at a high quality training school. Training a Dutch Smoushond has numerous phases: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, along with other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What level you decide to train is dependent on you as well as the brainpower of your Dutch Smoushond. As you know, different dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Dutch Smoushond pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Dutch Smoushonds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂