All of us dream of training the perfect German Wirehaired Pointer, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the instruction is done with care and commitment. Do not forget pups learn from day one and want to be advised what is correct, what is not, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
Puppies are like young children, they demand constant guidance and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be a challenge, all you have to bear in mind are a few basic principles:
Ten Tips For Training Your German Wirehaired Pointer
- Until your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. Once you can not then you must definitely crate him. Put together a schedule for the pup, this will serve to help her to calm down fast. The schedule will need to include things such as regular bathroom breaks, eating times, break periods, walks, play time, teaching, and more. A pup that has a busy day has no time to get bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to heed you. German Wirehaired Pointers stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will come to be easy as the pup will follow you at all times and not test your power.
- Utilize only positive training techniques. Do not scream at, strike, or abuse your German Wirehaired Pointer. It is not only terrible but will trigger behavioral issues. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth can wound the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is frequently accepted as a valuable coaching tool. In the event that you practice this, the pup will discover that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he needs to behave properly.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage behaviors such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doors. Appreciate courtesy and disregard or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you have to catch the German Wirehaired Pointer in the process and surprise her by rattling a jar of stones. When you have done this make him deal with his behavior and instantly give him a snack and appreciation. German Wirehaired Pointers do not think of what occurred earlier so scolding him after an occurrence is futile.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the German Wirehaired Pointer will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggie should connect his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this happens he will come willingly the moment you call out his name.
- Generate a teaching routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Extensive recurring sessions can be boring and the German Wirehaired Pointer will lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons exciting and use trick training sessions to explain commands like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the German Wirehaired Pointer and both of you will like your sessions. The pup needs to expect spending time with you and not steer clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Be sure to socialize the puppy dog very early. Socialization is one of the most critical teachings. The German Wirehaired Pointer will need to learn to exist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, carefully introduce the dog when he is little to normal endeavors and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Discover all about house training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are remedial lessons that every German Wirehaired Pointer puppy must grasp. Understand all the traits as well as qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to properly teach the dog.
As a German Wirehaired Pointer owner you have countless choices. You could choose to train the German Wirehaired Pointer on your own or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a German Wirehaired Pointer has numerous steps: kindergarten, obedience training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, along with other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What values you choose to teach is dependent on you in addition to the brainpower of your German Wirehaired Pointer. As you understand, various dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your German Wirehaired Pointer pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about German Wirehaired Pointers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂