We all hope for training the perfect American Water Spaniel, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams do come true if the education is done with kindness and commitment. Remember pups learn from the first day and really need to be advised what is right, what is not, and effective socialization.
Pups act like kids, they want regular direction and teaching. Training a pup need not be a challenge, all you need to consider are a few straightforward guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your American Water Spaniel
- Till your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you are unable to then you will need to crate him. Design a routine for the pup, that will enable her to settle easily. The calendar has to incorporate things like regular potty visits, feeding times, rest times, walks, play time, education, and so forth. A pup that has a full day has no time to become bored and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to heed you. American Water Spaniels live in packs and instinctively need a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will become easy as the pup will comply with you at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize exclusively encouraging training techniques. Don’t yell at, strike, or punish your American Water Spaniel. It is not just terrible but can easily bring on behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc might hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is broadly regarded as a helpful coaching method. In the event that you practice this, the pup will learn that to experience anything like affection, a walk, or snack, he must act properly.
- Present the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage actions such as leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will realize that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a behavior you have to witness the American Water Spaniel in the process and surprise him by shaking a bottle of stones. When you have done this make him correct his behavior and immediately give him a treat and appreciation. American Water Spaniels do not remember what transpired earlier so scolding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be sure you call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the American Water Spaniel will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The doggy needs to affiliate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this transpires he will respond willingly if you call out his name.
- Develop a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes thrice a day. Long repetitive trainings can be uninteresting and the American Water Spaniel is going to lose interest in learning. Help make learning fun-filled and use trick training to explain commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Bond with the American Water Spaniel and both of you will certainly love your lessons. The pup must anticipate hanging out with you and not keep away from you by running away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the dog early. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The American Water Spaniel must learn to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the pup when he is small to everyday activities and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ playground, present him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Master everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are introductory lessons that every American Water Spaniel puppy has to learn. Understand all the characteristics as well as qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to effectively coach the dog.
As a American Water Spaniel owner you have countless options. You could choose to train the American Water Spaniel yourself or enroll at a professional training school. Training a American Water Spaniel has many steps: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What degree you choose to train depends upon you as well as the brainpower of your American Water Spaniel. As you recognize, various dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your American Water Spaniel pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about American Water Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂