We all hope for training the perfect Norwegian Buhund, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams do come true if the training is performed with care and dedication. Always remember pups learn from day one and need to be informed what is right, what is wrong, and effective interpersonal skills.
Pups are just like small children, they really need regular direction and teaching. Training a pup does not have to be a chore, all you need to consider are a few simple guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Norwegian Buhund
- Til your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. If you can not then you must definitely cage her. Establish a schedule for the pup, that will help him to settle down fast. The plan should consist of things such as regular bathroom visits, eating times, break periods, strolls, play time, instruction, and so on. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all to be bored or misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. Norwegian Buhunds stay in packs and naturally follow a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will come to be easy because the pup will follow you at all times and not test your authority.
- Utilize exclusively positive training methods. Never ever yell at, hit, or abuse your Norwegian Buhund. It is not only cruel but can easily trigger behavioral challenges. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could possibly wound the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is generally regarded as an useful coaching method. In the event that you emphasize this, your pup will be taught that to get something like love, a stroll, or treat, he must act well.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors such as leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, barking, or running out of open gates and doorways. Appreciate courtesy and ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will realize that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a behavior you will need to catch the Norwegian Buhund in the act and surprise her by shaking a canister of pebbles. When you have done this make him correct his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and appreciation. Norwegian Buhunds do not think of what occurred earlier so scolding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the Norwegian Buhund will presume that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup needs to correlate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this transpires he will respond happily once you call his name.
- Develop a training schedule that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes thrice a day. Long repetitive lessons can be uninspiring and the Norwegian Buhund is going to lose interest in learning. Help make learning cool and use trick training sessions to explain directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Norwegian Buhund and both of you will love your lessons. The pup must hope for hanging out with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or hiding. Make certain to socialize the puppy dog early on. Socialization is one of the most critical lessons. The Norwegian Buhund needs to learn to exist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy dog when he is small to regular events and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ playground, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Get to know everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are introductory lessons that every Norwegian Buhund puppy must grasp. Learn about all the mannerisms as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you valuable information on how to effectively teach the pup.
As a Norwegian Buhund owner you have many options. You could choose to train the Norwegian Buhund yourself or enlist at a pro training school. Training a Norwegian Buhund has numerous stages: kindergarten, obedience training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, along with other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What standard you choose to teach is dependent on you along with the learning abilities of your Norwegian Buhund. As you understand, different dogs, like people, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Norwegian Buhund pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Norwegian Buhunds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂