All of us long for training the perfect Norfolk Spaniel, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the education is performed with care and dedication. Don’t forget pups learn from day one and need to be taught what is right, what is wrong, and effective interpersonal skills.
Pups act like small children, they desire frequent direction and training. Training a pup does not have to be an ordeal, all you need to bear in mind are a few simple guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Norfolk Spaniel
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Once you can’t then you need to cage her. Put together a plan for the pup, this will enable him to settle down quickly. The schedule needs to incorporate things like hourly potty breaks, eating times, relaxation periods, strolls, play time, exercise, et cetera. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to be bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to respect you. Norfolk Spaniels live in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will get easy because the pup will heed you at all times and not defy your power.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training strategies. Don’t scream at, smack, or punish your Norfolk Spaniel. It is not only unkind but will lead to behavioral challenges. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth can wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is broadly recognized as a helpful training tool. As you execute this, your pup will find out that to get something like love, a walk, or reward, he must behave properly.
- Present the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce behaviors such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Compliment great behavior and ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a behavior you have to catch the Norfolk Spaniel in the process and startle him by shaking a container of pebbles. When you have done this make him deal with his behavior and instantly offer him a treat and appreciation. Norfolk Spaniels do not remember what transpired previously so chastening him after an event is futile.
- Make sure to call/use his name positively. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Norfolk Spaniel will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggie needs to associate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this occurs he will come happily as soon as you call his name.
- Make a training routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Prolonged repeated sessions can be monotonous and the Norfolk Spaniel is going to lose interest in learning. Help make training enjoyable and use trick training to show directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Norfolk Spaniel and both of you are going to appreciate your sessions. The pup must anticipate spending time with you and not steer clear of you by running away or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the puppy dog as soon as possible. Socialization is among the most vital teachings. The Norfolk Spaniel has to figure out how to be with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the doggie when he is little to ordinary endeavors and sounds. Take him to the shopping mall/ dog park, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Learn all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are introductory lessons that every Norfolk Spaniel puppy must learn. Learn about all the idiosyncrasies in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to effectively train the doggy.
As a Norfolk Spaniel owner you have lots of choices. You can choose to train the Norfolk Spaniel yourself or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a Norfolk Spaniel has many stages: kindergarten, obedience training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What level you choose to train depends upon you as well as the learning abilities of your Norfolk Spaniel. As you realize, different dogs, like human beings, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Norfolk Spaniel pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Norfolk Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂