All of us hope for training the perfect Kangal Dog, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is performed with kindness and commitment. Bear in mind pups learn from the first day and really need to be informed what is correct, what is wrong, and proper socialization.
Pups are just like small children, they demand continuous supervision and training. Training a pup does not have to be a chore, all you want to consider are a few straightforward guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Kangal Dog
- Till your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you can not then you ought to crate her. Establish a plan for the pup, that will enable her to settle very quickly. The routine must incorporate things like regular potty visits, feeding times, break periods, walks, play time, teaching, and more. A pup that has a full day has no time for being unoccupied and misbehave.
- Train the pup to value you. Kangal Dogs live in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will end up being easy because the pup will obey you at all times and not defy your power.
- Use exclusively encouraging training methods. Never scream at, hit, or abuse your Kangal Dog. It is not only harsh but may provoke behavioral issues. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could quite possibly wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is broadly regarded as a reliable teaching tool. As you reinforce this, your pup will find out that to experience anything like love, a walk, or snack, he has to behave well.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Applaud good behavior and just ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you need to witness the Kangal Dog in the act and surprise him by shaking a bottle of pebbles. When you have done this make him adjust his behavior and instantly offer him a snack and approval. Kangal Dogs do not remember what happened prior so scolding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be certain to call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create mental confusion and the Kangal Dog will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The puppy should identify his name with happy things like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this takes place he will approach willingly the moment you call out his name.
- Establish a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes thrice a day. Prolonged recurring trainings can be monotonous and the Kangal Dog will lose interest in learning. Make training fun and use trick training sessions to demonstrate directions like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Kangal Dog and both of you will certainly love your sessions. The pup needs to hope for spending time with you and not stay away from you by running away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the pup very early. Socialization is among the most important teachings. The Kangal Dog has to learn to coexist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, gradually introduce the pup when he is small to everyday activities and noises. Take him to the store/ park, present him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Get to know everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Kangal Dog puppy must understand. Learn about all the idiosyncrasies and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable information on how to properly instruct the pup.
As a Kangal Dog owner you have lots of choices. You could choose to train the Kangal Dog by yourself or enroll at a skilled professional training school. Training a Kangal Dog has many steps: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What degree you choose to coach hinges on you along with the learning abilities of your Kangal Dog. As you know, various dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Kangal Dog pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Kangal Dogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂