We all imagine training the perfect Japanese Spitz, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the instruction is performed with care and focus. Always remember pups learn from day one and need to be taught what is correct, what is wrong, and appropriate socialization.
Pups act like children, they require constant supervision and teaching. Training a pup need not be an ordeal, all you want to take note of are a few basic guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Japanese Spitz
- Till your pup is trained, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. Once you aren’t able to then you must definitely crate her. Develop a plan for the pup, that will serve to help him to calm down fast. The plan should incorporate things such as regular bathroom visits, eating times, relaxation times, walks, play time, teaching, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to become unoccupied or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Japanese Spitzs stay in packs and instinctively follow a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will eventually become easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Utilize exclusively positive training tactics. Do not ever yell at, smack, or punish your Japanese Spitz. It’s not just unkind but can bring on behavioral issues. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could certainly harm the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is broadly accepted as a reliable training tool. As you apply this, the pup will discover that to get something like love, a walk, or reward, he will need to behave well.
- Present the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce behaviors such as leaping, growling, tug-o-war, snarling, or escaping open gates and doors. Appreciate good behavior and ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you have to catch the Japanese Spitz in the process and startle him by shaking a bottle of rocks. When you have done this make him remedy his behavior and instantly offer him a snack and appreciation. Japanese Spitzs do not recollect what transpired earlier so scolding him after an event is futile.
- Make sure to call/use his name positively. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Japanese Spitz will think that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The dog should correlate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this happens he will approach happily as soon as you call out his name.
- Create a training regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes three times a day. Lengthy repetitive sessions can be uninspiring and the Japanese Spitz will lose interest in learning. Help make lessons entertaining and use trick training sessions to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Japanese Spitz and both of you will love your lessons. The pup should look forward to spending quality time with you and not steer clear of you by turning tail or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the pup early on. Socialization is among the most essential lessons. The Japanese Spitz must definitely figure out how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the doggie when he is small to everyday events and sounds. Take him to the store/ dog park, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Learn all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are introductory lessons that every Japanese Spitz puppy has to understand. Learn about all the traits and qualities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to properly train the pup.
As a Japanese Spitz parent you have a lot of choices. You may decide to train the Japanese Spitz yourself or enlist at a professional training school. Training a Japanese Spitz has several steps: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, showing and conformation, and other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What level you decide to coach hinges on you together with the learning abilities of your Japanese Spitz. As you recognize, different dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Japanese Spitz pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Japanese Spitzs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂