We all hope for training the perfect Basset Hound, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the training is done with kindness and dedication. Always remember pups learn from the first day and really need to be taught what is right, what is wrong, and effective socialization.
Pups are just like kids, they need to have continuous direction and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a challenge, all you want to keep in mind are a few straightforward guidelines:
10 Tips For Training Your Basset Hound
- Till your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. If you can not then you should cage her. Design a plan for the pup, that will help her to settle down quickly. The routine will need to incorporate things such as regular potty visits, feeding times, break periods, strolls, play time, education, etc. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all for being bored or misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. Basset Hounds stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will come to be easy as the pup will obey orders at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize exclusively encouraging training strategies. Don’t scream at, hit, or abuse your Basset Hound. It is not just terrible but can easily provoke behavioral concerns. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could very well harm the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is broadly recognized as a reliable coaching method. If you practice this, your pup will be taught that to get something like love, a stroll, or reward, he must behave well.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not advocate behaviors such as leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Celebrate courtesy and dismiss or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you have to catch the Basset Hound in the process and startle her by rattling a bottle of rocks. When you have done this help him straighten out his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Basset Hounds do not recall what happened prior so chastening him after an event is useless.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create mental confusion and the Basset Hound will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The pup needs to connect his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this happens he will respond happily the instant you call out his name.
- Make a training regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes 3 times a day. Long repetitive trainings can be dull and the Basset Hound is going to lose interest in the learning session. Make learning entertaining and use trick training sessions to explain commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Connect with the Basset Hound and both of you will definitely have fun with your lessons. The pup should wait to spending quality time with you and not steer clear of you by running away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the doggie very early. Socialization is one of the most vital teachings. The Basset Hound has to master how to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, carefully introduce the puppy when he is small to day-to-day tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, present him to children and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Master everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are remedial lessons that every Basset Hound puppy should learn. Know about all the characteristics and distinctive features of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to properly coach the doggy.
As a Basset Hound parent you have a lot of options. You might decide to train the Basset Hound on your own or sign up at a skilled professional training school. Training a Basset Hound has several steps: kindergarten, obedience training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What level you decide to teach is dependent on you in addition to the brainpower of your Basset Hound. As you understand, various dogs, like human beings, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Basset Hound pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Basset Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂