All of us long for training the perfect Old Time Farm Shepherd, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the instruction is done with care and focus. Never forget pups learn from the first day and want to be taught what is right, what is not, and ideal socialization.
Puppies are like children, they desire regular guidance and instruction. Training a pup needn’t be a challenge, all you want to remember are a few simple guidelines:
10 Tips For Training Your Old Time Farm Shepherd
- Til your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you are unable to then you must crate her. Develop a schedule for the pup, this will help her to settle down easily. The routine should include things such as hourly bathroom breaks, eating times, sleep times, walks, play time, instruction, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time for being unoccupied or get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to value you. Old Time Farm Shepherds stay in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will end up being easy because the pup will follow orders at all times and not question your authority.
- Utilize exclusively positive training methods. Do not ever holler at, strike, or abuse your Old Time Farm Shepherd. It’s not only unkind but can lead to behavioral concerns. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could harm the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a method of teaching that is generally recognized as a very useful coaching method. As you execute this, your pup will learn that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or reward, he will need to act well.
- Show the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage actions such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doors. Compliment excellent behavior and disregard or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a habit you should witness the Old Time Farm Shepherd in the process and surprise him by rattling a can of pebbles. When you have done this help him rectify his behavior and immediately give him a treat and approval. Old Time Farm Shepherds do not think of what took place prior so scolding him after an event is of no use.
- Be certain to call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Old Time Farm Shepherd will think that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The doggy must associate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this occurs he will respond happily as soon as you call his name.
- Generate a training regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes 3 times a day. Long repetitive sessions can be uninteresting and the Old Time Farm Shepherd will lose interest in learning. Help make training exciting and use trick training to teach directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Old Time Farm Shepherd and both of you will certainly have fun with your lessons. The pup should expect spending quality time with you and not stay away from you by breaking away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the dog early. Socialization is among the most significant teachings. The Old Time Farm Shepherd should learn to coexist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly and gradually introduce the pup when he is little to normal tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ playground, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Get to know everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are remedial lessons that every Old Time Farm Shepherd puppy should understand. Understand all the characteristics as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable information on how to properly instruct the puppy dog.
As a Old Time Farm Shepherd owner you have many options. You could possibly decide to train the Old Time Farm Shepherd yourself or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a Old Time Farm Shepherd has many steps: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What values you choose to coach depends on you as well as the learning abilities of your Old Time Farm Shepherd. As you know, various dogs, like humans, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Old Time Farm Shepherd pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Old Time Farm Shepherds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂