All of us hope for training the perfect Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is performed with care and dedication. Never forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be shown what is correct, what isn’t, and appropriate socialization.
Pups behave like kids, they need frequent supervision and training. Training a pup does not have to be a nightmare, all you need to keep in mind are a few straightforward rules:
10 Tips For Training Your Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
- Til your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. If you can’t then you must crate him. Create a schedule for the pup, this will serve to help him to calm down easily. The calendar will need to include things like hourly bathroom breaks, eating times, rest periods, walks, play time, instruction, etc. A pup that has a very busy day has no time for being bored or get into mischief.
- Train the pup to value you. Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will get easy because the pup will heed orders at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize only positive training strategies. Never scream at, whack, or punish your Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. It’s not only harsh but will create behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could very well wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is broadly regarded as a helpful coaching tool. If you practice this, your pup will learn that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he must behave properly.
- Present the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not encourage actions like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or running out of open gates and doors. Appreciate courtesy and disregard or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you must catch the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen in the act and startle her by shaking a canister of pebbles. Once you have done this help him rectify his behavior and immediately give him a snack and approval. Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens do not remember what happened earlier so chastening him after an occurrence is useless.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen will think that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The puppy needs to correlate his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this takes place he will approach happily once you call out his name.
- Establish a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes 3 times a day. Long repetitive lessons can be uninteresting and the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen will lose interest in learning. Make lessons entertaining and use trick training to show commands like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen and both of you will definitely have fun with your sessions. The pup ought to anticipate spending time with you and not stay away from you by running away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the pup quickly. Socialization is among the most crucial teachings. The Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen has to figure out how to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the puppy when he is small to ordinary tasks and noises. Take him to the mall/ dog park, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Get to know everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen puppy has to learn. Understand all the characteristics in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable information on how to properly coach the puppy.
As a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen owner you have numerous options. You could choose to train the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen yourself or sign up at a qualified training school. Training a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen has several stages: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, as well as other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so forth. What level you choose to train depends on you together with the brainpower of your Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. As you are aware, various dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂