We all hope for training the perfect Parson Russell Terrier, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the training is performed with care and focus. Realize pups learn from the first day and need to be informed what is right, what isn’t, and ideal socialization.
Pups act like kids, they need to get regular guidance and instruction. Training a pup needn’t be a challenge, all you want to consider are a few straightforward principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Parson Russell Terrier
- Up until your pup learns, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. Once you can not then you should crate her. Make a routine for the pup, that will help him to settle down quickly. The routine needs to include things such as regular potty visits, eating times, rest periods, strolls, play time, education, and more. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to be unoccupied or misbehave.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Parson Russell Terriers live in packs and naturally follow a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will end up being easy as the pup will follow you at all times and not defy your power.
- Use exclusively positive training methods. Do not ever scream at, attack, or punish your Parson Russell Terrier. It’s not only terrible but can easily result in behavioral challenges. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc may hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is generally regarded as a helpful training method. When you emphasize this, your pup will be taught that to experience something like love, a stroll, or snack, he will need to behave properly.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not advocate behaviors like leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Celebrate courtesy and ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a habit you need to catch the Parson Russell Terrier in the process and startle him by rattling a can of marbles. When you have done this make him deal with his behavior and immediately give him a treat and praise. Parson Russell Terriers do not remember what took place earlier so chastening him after an occurrence is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Parson Russell Terrier will presume that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup needs to affiliate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this occurs he will come happily if you call out his name.
- Generate a coaching routine that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes three times a day. Lengthy repetitive lessons can be uninspiring and the Parson Russell Terrier will lose interest in the learning session. Help make learning cool and use trick training sessions to demonstrate directions like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Parson Russell Terrier and both of you are going to enjoy your sessions. The pup must look forward to spending quality time with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the doggy early. Socialization is one of the most significant teachings. The Parson Russell Terrier has to learn to exist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, gradually introduce the doggy when he is little to common events and sounds. Take him to the market/ dog park, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Learn everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Parson Russell Terrier puppy must understand. Know about all the characteristics as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important information on how to successfully teach the dog.
As a Parson Russell Terrier owner you have plenty of options. You might choose to train the Parson Russell Terrier yourself or enroll at a competent training school. Training a Parson Russell Terrier has several phases: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so forth. What level you choose to teach hinges on you as well as the brainpower of your Parson Russell Terrier. As you realize, different dogs, like humans, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Parson Russell Terrier pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Parson Russell Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂