We all dream of training the perfect English Foxhound, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the teaching is done with care and focus. Never forget pups learn from the first day and need to be shown what is right, what is wrong, and correct socialization.
Puppies behave like small children, they want to have regular direction and training. Training a pup needn’t be a nightmare, all you need to remember are a few straightforward guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your English Foxhound
- Til your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. Once you can not then you must cage him. Put together a calendar for the pup, this will help him to settle down quickly. The routine will need to include things such as regular potty visits, eating times, sleep periods, walks, play time, education, and more. A pup that has a full day has no time to be bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to respect you. English Foxhounds stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will become easy because the pup will follow you at all times and not defy your power.
- Utilize only encouraging training methods. Never ever scream at, strike, or abuse your English Foxhound. It’s not only cruel but may trigger behavioral problems. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera can harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is widely accepted as a valuable teaching method. As you practice this, your pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a stroll, or treat, he must act properly.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not advocate behaviors such as leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Celebrate courtesy and just ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a habit you need to catch the English Foxhound in the process and surprise him by shaking a bottle of pebbles. As soon as you have done this help him fix his behavior and immediately offer him a treat and approval. English Foxhounds do not remember what transpired earlier so reprimanding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be certain to call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the English Foxhound will think that if you call his name then it is something negative. The doggy should correlate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this happens he will come willingly if you call his name.
- Develop a teaching schedule that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Lengthy recurring sessions can be uninspiring and the English Foxhound is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons fun-filled and use trick training sessions to show commands like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the English Foxhound and both of you will definitely love your lessons. The pup needs to look forward to spending time with you and not keep away from you by breaking away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the young dog as soon as possible. Socialization is among the most crucial lessons. The English Foxhound needs to master how to exist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the doggie when he is little to everyday activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping mall/ dog park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Study all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are basic lessons that every English Foxhound puppy should grasp. Know about all the idiosyncrasies as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to effectively instruct the puppy dog.
As a English Foxhound parent you have lots of choices. You can choose to train the English Foxhound yourself or enroll at a qualified professional training school. Training a English Foxhound has several steps: preschool, obedience training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What values you decide to teach hinges on you together with the brainpower of your English Foxhound. As you are aware, different dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your English Foxhound pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about English Foxhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂