We all hope for training the perfect Chinese Crested Dog, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the teaching is done with kindness and commitment. Don’t forget pups learn from day one and want to be informed what is correct, what isn’t, and effective interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like children, they have to have regular direction and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a chore, all you need to think about are a few basic guidelines:
10 Tips For Training Your Chinese Crested Dog
- Up until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you are unable to then you need to crate her. Develop a plan for the pup, that will enable her to settle down fast. The schedule has to consist of things like regular potty breaks, eating times, break times, walks, play time, teaching, et cetera. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all to become bored or misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. Chinese Crested Dogs stay in packs and instinctively need a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will become easy because the pup will comply with orders at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training methods. Don’t shout at, hit, or abuse your Chinese Crested Dog. It is not just terrible but will result in behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could possibly wound the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a system that is commonly recognized as a helpful training tool. In the event that you apply this, your pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a walk, or treat, he needs to act well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not advocate actions such as jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Applaud excellent behavior and disregard or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will realize that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a habit you need to catch the Chinese Crested Dog in the act and surprise him by rattling a canister of pebbles. When you have done this help him deal with his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and praise. Chinese Crested Dogs do not think of what occurred earlier so chastening him after an event is of no use.
- Be certain to call/use his name favorably. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Chinese Crested Dog will think that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup should link his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this happens he will come happily anytime you call his name.
- Create a teaching routine that is short and sweet, about ten minutes three times a day. Lengthy repetitive trainings can be monotonous and the Chinese Crested Dog is going to lose interest in learning. Make training enjoyable and use trick training sessions to show orders like sit, down, come and more.
- Connect with the Chinese Crested Dog and both of you will definitely appreciate your sessions. The pup must wait to spending time with you and not avoid you by breaking away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the dog as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most important lessons. The Chinese Crested Dog must definitely master how to exist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the doggie when he is little to regular tasks and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Study everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are remedial lessons that every Chinese Crested Dog puppy needs to master. Know about all the mannerisms in addition to qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to successfully coach the doggie.
As a Chinese Crested Dog parent you have numerous options. You could decide to train the Chinese Crested Dog yourself or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a Chinese Crested Dog has many steps: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What degree you choose to coach depends on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Chinese Crested Dog. As you recognize, various dogs, like human beings, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Chinese Crested Dog pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Chinese Crested Dogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂