We all dream of training the perfect Bluetick Coonhound, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is done with care and commitment. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and want to be informed what is right, what is wrong, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
Puppies are just like small children, they have to have constant supervision and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a chore, all you want to consider are a few straightforward principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Bluetick Coonhound
- Til your pup learns, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. If you are unable to then you must definitely cage her. Make a routine for the pup, that will serve to help him to settle quickly. The calendar will need to consist of things such as hourly bathroom visits, feeding times, break periods, strolls, play time, exercise, et cetera. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all to get bored or get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Bluetick Coonhounds stay in packs and naturally need a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then instructing will become easy because the pup will comply with you at all times and not defy your power.
- Use only constructive training methods. Never ever shout at, whack, or abuse your Bluetick Coonhound. It’s not just terrible but can easily create behavioral issues. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could certainly wound the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is universally regarded as a valuable teaching tool. If you emphasize this, the pup will be taught that to get something like love, a stroll, or reward, he will need to act well.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors like jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Appreciate courtesy and dismiss or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you should catch the Bluetick Coonhound in the process and startle him by rattling a bottle of stones. Once you have done this help him improve his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and praise. Bluetick Coonhounds do not think of what occurred prior so rebuking him after an event is of no use.
- Be sure to call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce mental confusion and the Bluetick Coonhound will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The pup must link his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this occurs he will come happily once you call his name.
- Generate a training schedule that is short and sweet, say ten minutes 3 times a day. Extensive recurring sessions can be dull and the Bluetick Coonhound is going to lose interest in learning. Help make learning enjoyable and use trick training to explain orders like sit, down, come and more.
- Connect with the Bluetick Coonhound and both of you are going to enjoy your sessions. The pup ought to anticipate spending time with you and not stay clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Make certain to socialize the young dog very early. Socialization is one of the most vital lessons. The Bluetick Coonhound needs to master how to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, carefully introduce the dog when he is small to everyday endeavors and sounds. Take him to the store/ dog park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Master everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every Bluetick Coonhound puppy must master. Understand all the habits as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to properly teach the pup.
As a Bluetick Coonhound parent you have many choices. You could possibly choose to train the Bluetick Coonhound on your own or sign up at a qualified training school. Training a Bluetick Coonhound has numerous phases: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What level you decide to teach depends on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Bluetick Coonhound. As you understand, various dogs, like human beings, possess different talents. Choose well and both you and your Bluetick Coonhound pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Bluetick Coonhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂