We all long for training the perfect Black And Tan Coonhound, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the teaching is performed with care and dedication. Keep in mind pups learn from day one and really need to be advised what is right, what is not, and appropriate socialization.
Puppies are like children, they demand frequent direction and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a nightmare, all you want to think about are a few straightforward guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Black And Tan Coonhound
- Up until your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on him at all times. If you can’t then you must crate him. Develop a schedule for the pup, this will enable him to settle down fast. The plan will need to include things such as hourly bathroom breaks, feeding times, break times, walks, play time, exercise, et cetera. A pup that has a busy day has no time to get bored and misbehave.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Black And Tan Coonhounds stay in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will come easy because the pup will comply with orders at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Utilize exclusively positive training strategies. Do not ever yell at, smack, or punish your Black And Tan Coonhound. It’s not just unkind but will provoke behavioral challenges. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could easily harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a philosophy that is frequently acknowledged as an useful teaching method. As you emphasize this, your pup will learn that to get something like love, a walk, or reward, he needs to act well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage actions such as leaping, growling, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doorways. Appreciate great behavior and ignore or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will discover that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a habit you have to catch the Black And Tan Coonhound in the process and startle her by shaking a can of rocks. When you have done this make him improve his behavior and immediately give him a treat and approval. Black And Tan Coonhounds do not recall what occurred previously so reprimanding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be certain to call/use his name positively. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Black And Tan Coonhound will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggie needs to affiliate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this takes place he will come happily whenever you call his name.
- Establish a training schedule that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes thrice a day. Lengthy recurring sessions can be uninteresting and the Black And Tan Coonhound is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make training enjoyable and use trick training to show directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Black And Tan Coonhound and both of you will enjoy your sessions. The pup must look forward to spending time with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the young dog early. Socialization is among the most important teachings. The Black And Tan Coonhound must definitely learn to be with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly introduce the doggie when he is small to common events and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ dog park, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Study everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Black And Tan Coonhound puppy needs to grasp. Learn about all the habits in addition to qualities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to successfully educate the doggie.
As a Black And Tan Coonhound parent you have numerous choices. You could possibly decide to train the Black And Tan Coonhound on your own or sign up at a competent training school. Training a Black And Tan Coonhound has many steps: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What values you decide to coach is dependent on you along with the learning abilities of your Black And Tan Coonhound. As you are aware, different dogs, like humans, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Black And Tan Coonhound pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Black And Tan Coonhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂