We all imagine training the perfect Landseer, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the training is done with care and focus. Do not forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be taught what is right, what is wrong, and effective socialization.
Pups are just like kids, they desire frequent supervision and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a chore, all you need to consider are a few straightforward principles:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Landseer
- Till your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. When you can’t then you ought to crate him. Design a routine for the pup, this will help her to calm down fast. The plan must include things such as hourly potty breaks, eating times, sleep times, strolls, play time, instruction, and more. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all to be unoccupied and misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. Landseers live in packs and instinctively need a leader. When you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will get easy because the pup will heed you at all times and not defy your authority.
- Use exclusively positive training strategies. Do not ever holler at, attack, or punish your Landseer. It’s not just unkind but can cause behavioral challenges. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera could very well harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a method of teaching that is generally acknowledged as a reliable training method. If you reinforce this, your pup will be taught that to get anything like love, a stroll, or treat, he will need to act properly.
- Present the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace behaviors such as leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Appreciate courtesy and disregard or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a habit you must catch the Landseer in the process and surprise him by rattling a canister of marbles. When you have done this make him adjust his behavior and promptly give him a treat and appreciation. Landseers do not recollect what occurred earlier so reprimanding him after an event is useless.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Landseer will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The doggie must relate his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this transpires he will approach happily as soon as you call his name.
- Create a training regimen that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Prolonged repeated sessions can be dull and the Landseer is going to lose interest in the learning session. Make training cool and use trick training sessions to show orders like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Landseer and both of you will definitely love your lessons. The pup needs to hope for spending time with you and not steer clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the doggy early on. Socialization is among the most critical lessons. The Landseer has to figure out how to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly but surely introduce the pup when he is small to common endeavors and noises. Take him to the store/ park, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Get to know everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are basic lessons that every Landseer puppy needs to master. Learn about all the mannerisms as well as qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to effectively teach the puppy dog.
As a Landseer owner you have lots of options. You may choose to train the Landseer on your own or enroll at a professional training school. Training a Landseer has many stages: preschool, obedience training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, as well as other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What level you choose to coach depends upon you as well as the learning abilities of your Landseer. As you recognize, different dogs, like human beings, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Landseer pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Landseers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂