We all long for training the perfect Lancashire Heeler, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the training is done with kindness and dedication. Realize pups learn from the first day and really need to be informed what is correct, what isn’t, and effective socialization.
Pups are just like small children, they need frequent direction and training. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a nightmare, all you have to remember are a few straightforward rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Lancashire Heeler
- Up until your pup learns, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you aren’t able to then you ought to crate him. Establish a schedule for the pup, this will enable him to calm down quickly. The plan must include things such as regular potty visits, feeding times, relaxation periods, strolls, play time, education, etc. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to become bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Lancashire Heelers live in packs and naturally comply with a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will eventually become easy because the pup will obey orders at all times and not question your power.
- Utilize exclusively constructive training strategies. Do not ever shout at, whack, or punish your Lancashire Heeler. It is not only terrible but may create behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth might harm the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is widely accepted as a very useful teaching method. If you reinforce this, the pup will be taught that to get anything like affection, a walk, or reward, he needs to behave properly.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce behaviors like jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doorways. Praise proper behavior and disregard or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you should witness the Lancashire Heeler in the act and startle him by shaking a bottle of stones. Once you have done this help him rectify his behavior and instantly give him a snack and approval. Lancashire Heelers do not recall what transpired previously so reprimanding him after an event is of no use.
- Make sure to call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Lancashire Heeler will believe that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The puppy must correlate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this occurs he will approach willingly the moment you call his name.
- Develop a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, about ten minutes 3 times a day. Long recurring trainings can be boring and the Lancashire Heeler is going to lose interest in learning. Help make learning interesting and use trick training to show commands like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Bond with the Lancashire Heeler and both of you will certainly appreciate your lessons. The pup should hope for hanging out with you and not stay clear of you by running away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the young dog early. Socialization is one of the most essential teachings. The Lancashire Heeler must master how to be around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the dog when he is little to everyday tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping mall/ playground, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Study everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Lancashire Heeler puppy should grasp. Know about all the idiosyncrasies in addition to qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to successfully coach the doggie.
As a Lancashire Heeler parent you have lots of choices. You may choose to train the Lancashire Heeler yourself or register at a qualified training school. Training a Lancashire Heeler has numerous levels: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What level you choose to train depends on you along with the brainpower of your Lancashire Heeler. As you are aware, different dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Lancashire Heeler pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Lancashire Heelers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂