All of us hope for training the perfect King Charles Spaniel, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is done with kindness and dedication. Realize pups learn from day one and want to be informed what is correct, what is not, and effective interpersonal skills.
Pups act like small children, they are in need of continuous direction and training. Training a pup needn’t be a nightmare, all you need to remember are a few basic rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your King Charles Spaniel
- Until your pup is trained, you have to keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you can’t then you must definitely cage her. Establish a routine for the pup, this will serve to help her to settle down very quickly. The plan needs to consist of things like hourly bathroom visits, eating times, rest periods, walks, play time, instruction, and more. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all to get bored or get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. King Charles Spaniels stay in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will come easy as the pup will follow you at all times and not question your power.
- Use exclusively positive training methods. Never ever holler at, hit, or abuse your King Charles Spaniel. It’s not only unkind but can result in behavioral concerns. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on may possibly hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a mantra that is broadly accepted as a very useful teaching tool. When you execute this, the pup will learn that to get anything like love, a walk, or treat, he will need to behave properly.
- Present the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage actions like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Compliment courtesy and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a behavior you need to witness the King Charles Spaniel in the process and surprise him by shaking a jar of stones. When you have done this help him fix his behavior and promptly give him a snack and praise. King Charles Spaniels do not remember what transpired earlier so reprimanding him after an event is of no use.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the King Charles Spaniel will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The pup needs to link his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this takes place he will respond willingly if you call his name.
- Create a coaching schedule that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Long repeated lessons can be uninteresting and the King Charles Spaniel is going to lose interest in learning. Make lessons cool and use trick training to show orders like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the King Charles Spaniel and both of you are going to get a kick out of your sessions. The pup should look forward to hanging out with you and not avoid you by running away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the pup as soon as possible. Socialization is among the most vital teachings. The King Charles Spaniel needs to master how to be around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly and gradually introduce the doggie when he is small to common endeavors and noises. Take him to the market/ park, present him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Discover all about house training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every King Charles Spaniel puppy needs to understand. Understand all the habits and qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable information on how to effectively educate the puppy dog.
As a King Charles Spaniel parent you have plenty of options. You could possibly decide to train the King Charles Spaniel yourself or enlist at a professional training school. Training a King Charles Spaniel has many stages: preschool, behavior training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What standard you decide to train hinges on you in addition to the brainpower of your King Charles Spaniel. As you know, various dogs, like people, possess different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your King Charles Spaniel pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about King Charles Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂