All of us hope for training the perfect English Toy Terrier, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the training is done with care and focus. Always remember pups learn from day one and want to be informed what is correct, what is wrong, and ideal interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like small children, they are in need of regular direction and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a nightmare, all you need to bear in mind are a few straightforward guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your English Toy Terrier
- Until your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you can’t then you must crate her. Make a routine for the pup, that will serve to help him to settle down very quickly. The plan has to include things such as regular potty breaks, feeding times, relaxation times, strolls, play time, teaching, et cetera. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all for being bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to value you. English Toy Terriers live in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will eventually become easy as the pup will follow you at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize only encouraging training techniques. Do not holler at, attack, or abuse your English Toy Terrier. It is not just terrible but can provoke behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera may possibly injure the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is broadly regarded as a valuable training tool. In the event that you emphasize this, your pup will learn that to get something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he needs to act well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Commend good behavior and ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly discover that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a habit you will need to witness the English Toy Terrier in the process and surprise him by shaking a can of stones. When you have done this make him correct his behavior and immediately offer him a treat and appreciation. English Toy Terriers do not think of what transpired prior so reprimanding him after an event is futile.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the English Toy Terrier will think that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The pup needs to affiliate his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this takes place he will approach happily as soon as you call his name.
- Create a coaching schedule that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Long repetitive sessions can be uninspiring and the English Toy Terrier will lose interest in the learning session. Help make training fun-filled and use trick training sessions to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come and more.
- Connect with the English Toy Terrier and both of you will appreciate your lessons. The pup must expect spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by running away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the pup very early. Socialization is one of the most significant teachings. The English Toy Terrier has to learn to coexist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, gradually introduce the puppy when he is little to common events and sounds. Take him to the shopping centre/ park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Get to know all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are basic lessons that every English Toy Terrier puppy needs to master. Understand all the habits and qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable information on how to properly train the puppy dog.
As a English Toy Terrier parent you have plenty of choices. You could choose to train the English Toy Terrier by yourself or register at a qualified training school. Training a English Toy Terrier has several stages: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, showing and conformation, and other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What values you choose to teach depends on you together with the learning abilities of your English Toy Terrier. As you realize, different dogs, like human beings, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your English Toy Terrier pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about English Toy Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂