We all hope for training the perfect Clumber Spaniel, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the teaching is done with care and commitment. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be advised what is right, what is not, and ideal socialization.
Puppies behave like small children, they really need regular direction and instruction. Training a pup need not be a challenge, all you need to bear in mind are a few basic principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Clumber Spaniel
- Up until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. If you aren’t able to then you must definitely crate her. Establish a routine for the pup, this will help her to calm down easily. The schedule needs to incorporate things like regular potty visits, feeding times, break periods, walks, play time, training, and so forth. A pup that has a full day has no time to get bored and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Clumber Spaniels live in packs and instinctively follow a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will eventually become easy because the pup will heed you at all times and not defy your power.
- Use only encouraging training strategies. Do not shout at, smack, or abuse your Clumber Spaniel. It’s not just unkind but may result in behavioral problems. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could easily wound the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a philosophy that is broadly acknowledged as a practical training tool. As you execute this, the pup will learn that to experience anything like love, a walk, or snack, he must behave properly.
- Present the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace behaviors like leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Celebrate great behavior and ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a behavior you have to catch the Clumber Spaniel in the process and surprise her by shaking a canister of rocks. Once you have done this help him remedy his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Clumber Spaniels do not recollect what occurred earlier so rebuking him after an occurrence is futile.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Clumber Spaniel will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The doggie must link his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this takes place he will approach willingly once you call out his name.
- Make a coaching routine that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Extensive recurring lessons can be monotonous and the Clumber Spaniel will lose interest in the learning session. Make training enjoyable and use trick training sessions to explain commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Connect with the Clumber Spaniel and both of you will definitely like your sessions. The pup should eagerly anticipate spending quality time with you and not steer clear of you by running away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the pup quickly. Socialization is one of the most critical lessons. The Clumber Spaniel has to figure out how to coexist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly but surely introduce the pup when he is little to day-to-day tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and water hose.
- Discover everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Clumber Spaniel puppy must understand. Understand all the traits in addition to qualities of the breed. This will give you important insights on how to effectively teach the doggy.
As a Clumber Spaniel owner you have several options. You could very well decide to train the Clumber Spaniel on your own or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a Clumber Spaniel has many stages: kindergarten, obedience training, dog sports, showing and conformation, as well as other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What standard you decide to coach is dependent on you together with the learning abilities of your Clumber Spaniel. As you recognize, various dogs, like human beings, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Clumber Spaniel pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Clumber Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂