We all long for training the perfect Black Norwegian Elkhound, a pup that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the education is performed with care and focus. Bear in mind pups learn from day one and really need to be taught what is right, what is wrong, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
Puppies act like young children, they need to have continuous supervision and instruction. Training a pup needn’t be an ordeal, all you need to take note of are a few simple rules:
Ten Tips For Training Your Black Norwegian Elkhound
- Until your pup learns, you have to keep an eye on him at all times. If you are unable to then you need to crate him. Make a calendar for the pup, this will enable her to calm down easily. The routine needs to include things like hourly potty breaks, feeding times, break periods, walks, play time, training, etc. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to get unoccupied or get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. Black Norwegian Elkhounds live in packs and naturally follow a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then teaching will end up being easy because the pup will comply with you at all times and not defy your authority.
- Use exclusively constructive training methods. Do not yell at, strike, or punish your Black Norwegian Elkhound. It is not only cruel but can bring on behavioral problems. Use of electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could quite possibly wound the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a system that is frequently recognized as a very useful training method. As you apply this, the pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a stroll, or treat, he has to act well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce actions such as leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, barking, or running out of open gates and doorways. Celebrate courtesy and disregard or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you must catch the Black Norwegian Elkhound in the process and surprise him by shaking a bottle of rocks. When you have done this make him fix his behavior and immediately give him a treat and approval. Black Norwegian Elkhounds do not call to mind what occurred previously so reprimanding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be sure to call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Black Norwegian Elkhound will believe that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The dog must relate his name with happy events like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this happens he will respond willingly as soon as you call out his name.
- Create a teaching routine that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy repeated trainings can be boring and the Black Norwegian Elkhound is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons entertaining and use trick training to explain commands like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Connect with the Black Norwegian Elkhound and both of you will like your sessions. The pup needs to eagerly anticipate hanging out with you and not stay clear of you by breaking away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the doggy early. Socialization is one of the most crucial lessons. The Black Norwegian Elkhound needs to figure out how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, gradually introduce the pup when he is small to day-to-day tasks and sounds. Take him to the market/ dog park, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Understand everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Black Norwegian Elkhound puppy has to learn. Know about all the idiosyncrasies as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to successfully coach the puppy.
As a Black Norwegian Elkhound owner you have countless choices. You might decide to train the Black Norwegian Elkhound by yourself or sign up at a competent training school. Training a Black Norwegian Elkhound has numerous steps: kindergarten, behavior training, doggy sports, presenting and conformation, along with other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What degree you choose to coach depends upon you along with the brainpower of your Black Norwegian Elkhound. As you understand, various dogs, like human beings, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Black Norwegian Elkhound pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Black Norwegian Elkhounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂