We all long for training the perfect Pharaoh Hound, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the training is done with kindness and commitment. Remember pups learn from day one and really need to be advised what is right, what is wrong, and proper interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like small children, they have to have regular supervision and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you need to remember are a few straightforward guidelines:
10 Tips For Training Your Pharaoh Hound
- Til your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you aren’t able to then you must cage her. Put together a calendar for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle down fast. The routine needs to consist of things like hourly bathroom breaks, eating times, sleep periods, walks, play time, instruction, and more. A pup that has a busy day has no time to get unoccupied or get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Pharaoh Hounds stay in packs and naturally need a leader. Once you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will come to be easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not test your authority.
- Use exclusively constructive training methods. Do not shout at, attack, or abuse your Pharaoh Hound. It is not just harsh but can bring on behavioral issues. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could easily injure the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is commonly accepted as a practical training method. As you execute this, the pup will learn that to get something like affection, a walk, or reward, he must act properly.
- Demonstrate the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not endorse behaviors like jumping, growling, tug-o-war, yipping, or escaping open gates and doors. Compliment proper behavior and dismiss or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will discover that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a habit you must catch the Pharaoh Hound in the act and startle him by shaking a jar of marbles. Once you have done this make him improve his behavior and promptly give him a snack and appreciation. Pharaoh Hounds do not recall what took place previously so reprimanding him after an event is of no use.
- Be sure to call/use his name favorably. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create mental confusion and the Pharaoh Hound will presume that if you call his name then it is for something negative. The dog must link his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this takes place he will respond happily if you call out his name.
- Make a training routine that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy repeated lessons can be boring and the Pharaoh Hound is going to lose interest in learning. Help make training entertaining and use trick training sessions to explain directions like sit, down, come and more.
- Connect with the Pharaoh Hound and both of you are going to love your sessions. The pup needs to look forward to spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by breaking away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the dog early. Socialization is one of the most essential teachings. The Pharaoh Hound needs to figure out how to exist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the pup when he is small to normal tasks and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ dog park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Master everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Pharaoh Hound puppy should master. Understand all the mannerisms in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to properly coach the doggy.
As a Pharaoh Hound owner you have countless choices. You could decide to train the Pharaoh Hound yourself or sign up at a high quality training school. Training a Pharaoh Hound has many steps: kindergarten, obedience training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What standard you decide to teach hinges on you together with the learning abilities of your Pharaoh Hound. As you realize, different dogs, like people, possess different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Pharaoh Hound pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Pharaoh Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂