We all imagine training the perfect Formosan Mountain Dog, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the education is performed with kindness and commitment. Keep in mind pups learn from day one and want to be instructed what is correct, what isn’t, and proper socialization.
Puppies are like children, they crave frequent supervision and teaching. Training a pup needn’t be a challenge, all you have to consider are a few simple rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Formosan Mountain Dog
- Til your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Once you can’t then you need to cage her. Design a routine for the pup, this will help him to settle down fast. The plan needs to consist of things such as hourly potty breaks, eating times, relaxation times, strolls, play time, training, and so forth. A pup that has a full day has no time for being bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. Formosan Mountain Dogs live in packs and naturally follow a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will come easy because the pup will heed you at all times and not defy your power.
- Use exclusively constructive training methods. Never ever shout at, strike, or abuse your Formosan Mountain Dog. It is not only cruel but might provoke behavioral issues. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc may harm the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is commonly accepted as a reliable teaching tool. As you execute this, the pup will be taught that to experience something like love, a walk, or snack, he needs to act well.
- Demonstrate the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not advocate behaviors like jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doors. Applaud excellent behavior and dismiss or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly realize that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you will need to catch the Formosan Mountain Dog in the process and startle him by rattling a container of rocks. When you have done this help him correct his behavior and instantly give him a snack and approval. Formosan Mountain Dogs do not think of what happened earlier so rebuking him after an occurrence is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name positively. Never ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Formosan Mountain Dog will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The puppy must affiliate his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this occurs he will respond willingly if you call his name.
- Create a training schedule that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes thrice a day. Extensive repeated sessions can be boring and the Formosan Mountain Dog will lose interest in learning. Help make learning fun and use trick training to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Bond with the Formosan Mountain Dog and both of you will definitely enjoy your lessons. The pup ought to hope for hanging out with you and not avoid you by breaking away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the puppy quickly. Socialization is among the most critical teachings. The Formosan Mountain Dog must figure out how to exist around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly and gradually introduce the doggie when he is little to normal activities and sounds. Take him to the market/ playground, present him to kids and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Understand everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Formosan Mountain Dog puppy needs to grasp. Know about all the idiosyncrasies and distinctive features of the breed. This will give you useful ideas on how to effectively educate the puppy dog.
As a Formosan Mountain Dog owner you have numerous options. You could possibly choose to train the Formosan Mountain Dog on your own or register at a skilled professional training school. Training a Formosan Mountain Dog has many levels: kindergarten, obedience training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, in addition to other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What level you decide to coach depends on you together with the brainpower of your Formosan Mountain Dog. As you realize, various dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Formosan Mountain Dog pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Formosan Mountain Dogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂