We all long for training the perfect Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the training is performed with kindness and dedication. Don’t forget pups learn from day one and really need to be instructed what is right, what is wrong, and effective socialization.
Pups are just like children, they need to have regular supervision and instruction. Training a pup needn’t be a chore, all you need to bear in mind are a few simple rules:
10 Tips For Training Your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Til your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on him at all times. If you can not then you should cage him. Make a schedule for the pup, that will enable her to settle down very quickly. The calendar has to consist of things like regular potty visits, eating times, break periods, strolls, play time, teaching, and so forth. A pup that has a busy day has no time at all to become unoccupied or get into mischief.
- Train the pup to heed you. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels live in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will get easy because the pup will obey orders at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Use exclusively constructive training techniques. Do not scream at, whack, or punish your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. It’s not only cruel but will create behavioral concerns. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could hurt the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is universally accepted as a helpful training tool. As you emphasize this, your pup will learn that to get anything like love, a walk, or reward, he has to act well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Praise courtesy and dismiss or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you should witness the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in the act and surprise her by shaking a can of stones. As soon as you have done this help him improve his behavior and promptly give him a snack and praise. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels do not think of what occurred earlier so scolding him after an occurrence is futile.
- Be sure you call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog must connect his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this takes place he will come happily when you call out his name.
- Generate a teaching routine that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes three times a day. Lengthy repeated trainings can be monotonous and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is going to lose interest in learning. Make lessons exciting and use trick training sessions to show directions like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Bond with the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and both of you are going to get a kick out of your lessons. The pup ought to hope for spending time with you and not keep away from you by turning tail or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the puppy early on. Socialization is one of the most crucial lessons. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel needs to figure out how to exist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the doggie when he is little to ordinary events and noises. Take him to the shopping centre/ park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Master everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are basic lessons that every Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy needs to grasp. Know about all the idiosyncrasies and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to effectively train the puppy.
As a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel owner you have countless options. You could choose to train the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel on your own or sign up at a qualified training school. Training a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has numerous levels: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What level you decide to teach hinges on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. As you are aware, various dogs, like human beings, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂