All of us imagine training the perfect Podenco Canario, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the teaching is done with kindness and commitment. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and need to be taught what is right, what is not, and proper socialization.
Puppies act like young children, they require frequent guidance and training. Training a pup doesn’t have to be an ordeal, all you want to think about are a few straightforward principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Podenco Canario
- Til your pup learns, you must keep an eye on her at all times. If you are unable to then you must cage him. Design a calendar for the pup, this will serve to help her to calm down fast. The calendar needs to consist of things like regular potty breaks, eating times, rest times, strolls, play time, training, etc. A pup that has a hectic day has no time for being bored and misbehave.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Podenco Canarios live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will come easy as the pup will comply with you at all times and not challenge your power.
- Utilize exclusively encouraging training techniques. Do not scream at, strike, or abuse your Podenco Canario. It is not just terrible but may result in behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a philosophy that is universally accepted as a helpful teaching tool. As you reinforce this, your pup will discover that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he has to act well.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not embrace behaviors such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and just ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will realize that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a behavior you need to witness the Podenco Canario in the process and surprise her by rattling a can of marbles. As soon as you have done this help him rectify his behavior and immediately give him a snack and appreciation. Podenco Canarios do not think of what happened previously so rebuking him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be sure to call/use his name favorably. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Podenco Canario will believe that if you call his name then it is something negative. The puppy needs to relate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this happens he will approach willingly as soon as you call his name.
- Make a training schedule that is short and sweet, about ten minutes thrice a day. Extensive repetitive sessions can be uninspiring and the Podenco Canario will lose interest in the learning session. Help make training interesting and use trick training sessions to demonstrate orders like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the Podenco Canario and both of you will definitely have fun with your lessons. The pup needs to eagerly anticipate hanging out with you and not stay clear of you by turning tail or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the young dog quickly. Socialization is among the most vital teachings. The Podenco Canario has to master how to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, gradually introduce the doggy when he is small to day-to-day events and noises. Take him to the mall/ playground, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Master everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are rudimentary lessons that every Podenco Canario puppy must understand. Understand all the habits in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful insights on how to properly educate the doggie.
As a Podenco Canario parent you have countless options. You could very well decide to train the Podenco Canario by yourself or enroll at a qualified training school. Training a Podenco Canario has numerous levels: kindergarten, obedience training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What degree you decide to teach depends upon you along with the brainpower of your Podenco Canario. As you know, various dogs, like people, have different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Podenco Canario pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Podenco Canarios.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂