We all dream of training the perfect Bichon Frise, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the teaching is done with care and commitment. Always remember pups learn from day one and need to be taught what is right, what is not, and effective socialization.
Pups are like small children, they need to get continuous guidance and training. Training a pup needn’t be a chore, all you want to remember are a few basic principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Bichon Frise
- Until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. If you can’t then you must cage him. Make a routine for the pup, this will enable her to settle down quickly. The calendar has to include things like regular potty breaks, eating times, rest periods, walks, play time, exercise, etc. A pup that has a busy day has no time to become bored or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to value you. Bichon Frises live in packs and instinctively need a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will come to be easy as the pup will heed orders at all times and not defy your authority.
- Use exclusively encouraging training techniques. Never ever scream at, hit, or punish your Bichon Frise. It is not just terrible but will result in behavioral concerns. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could certainly injure the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is broadly accepted as a helpful training tool. In the event that you execute this, the pup will find out that to experience anything like love, a stroll, or reward, he will need to behave properly.
- Demonstrate the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce behaviors such as leaping, yelping, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Praise great behavior and ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a behavior you have to witness the Bichon Frise in the act and startle her by rattling a container of rocks. Once you have done this help him correct his behavior and instantly offer him a treat and praise. Bichon Frises do not call to mind what happened earlier so rebuking him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be sure you call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in mental confusion and the Bichon Frise will presume that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The doggie must correlate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this happens he will approach willingly once you call out his name.
- Establish a coaching schedule that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Lengthy recurring trainings can be uninspiring and the Bichon Frise is going to lose interest in learning. Help make lessons entertaining and use trick training sessions to show orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Bichon Frise and both of you will certainly enjoy your lessons. The pup should wait to spending time with you and not steer clear of you by turning tail or taking cover. Make certain to socialize the doggy very early. Socialization is one of the most vital lessons. The Bichon Frise must definitely learn to coexist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy when he is small to regular tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping centre/ park, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Study all about house training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are remedial lessons that every Bichon Frise puppy has to grasp. Learn about all the mannerisms and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to effectively instruct the puppy dog.
As a Bichon Frise parent you have lots of choices. You can decide to train the Bichon Frise yourself or enroll at a skilled professional training school. Training a Bichon Frise has several levels: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, along with other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What standard you choose to instruct depends upon you in addition to the brainpower of your Bichon Frise. As you recognize, various dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Bichon Frise pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Bichon Frises.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂