All of us long for training the perfect Peruvian Hairless Dog, a puppy that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the teaching is performed with kindness and commitment. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and really need to be shown what is right, what is wrong, and effective interpersonal skills.
Pups behave like kids, they want to have constant supervision and instruction. Training a pup need not be a nightmare, all you want to remember are a few basic guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Peruvian Hairless Dog
- Up until your pup learns, you have to keep an eye on her at all times. Once you can’t then you must definitely crate her. Put together a routine for the pup, this will help her to calm down very quickly. The routine will need to incorporate things such as regular potty breaks, eating times, sleep periods, strolls, play time, teaching, and more. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all for being bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to value you. Peruvian Hairless Dogs stay in packs and naturally follow a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then instructing will end up being easy because the pup will obey you at all times and not test your authority.
- Utilize only encouraging training strategies. Don’t yell at, whack, or punish your Peruvian Hairless Dog. It is not only cruel but can create behavioral problems. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc can hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is broadly regarded as a reliable teaching tool. As you practice this, your pup will discover that to get anything like love, a stroll, or snack, he has to behave well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not reinforce behaviors like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, snarling, or running out of open gates and doors. Compliment great behavior and just ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will realize that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you will need to witness the Peruvian Hairless Dog in the process and startle her by shaking a canister of rocks. As soon as you have done this make him correct his behavior and instantly offer him a snack and praise. Peruvian Hairless Dogs do not remember what occurred previously so reprimanding him after an occurrence is useless.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Peruvian Hairless Dog will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The pup should associate his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this occurs he will respond happily the second you call out his name.
- Establish a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes three times a day. Extensive repeated sessions can be monotonous and the Peruvian Hairless Dog will lose interest in learning. Help make learning cool and use trick training sessions to demonstrate directions like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the Peruvian Hairless Dog and both of you will certainly appreciate your lessons. The pup ought to wait to hanging out with you and not stay away from you by breaking away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the puppy dog very early. Socialization is one of the most critical teachings. The Peruvian Hairless Dog needs to learn to be around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly but surely introduce the doggie when he is small to normal activities and noises. Take him to the mall/ playground, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Get to know everything about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Peruvian Hairless Dog puppy must learn. Know about all the traits in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important insights on how to effectively teach the dog.
As a Peruvian Hairless Dog owner you have several options. You could certainly decide to train the Peruvian Hairless Dog on your own or enroll at a pro training school. Training a Peruvian Hairless Dog has numerous levels: preschool, obedience training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, etc. What degree you decide to coach depends upon you together with the brainpower of your Peruvian Hairless Dog. As you are aware, different dogs, like human beings, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Peruvian Hairless Dog pup will have fun times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Peruvian Hairless Dogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂