We all long for training the perfect Norfolk Terrier, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the teaching is done with kindness and focus. Always remember pups learn from day one and need to be informed what is correct, what is not, and proper interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like kids, they crave continuous supervision and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a challenge, all you need to keep in mind are a few simple rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Norfolk Terrier
- Up until your pup learns, you need to keep an eye on her at all times. Once you can not then you need to crate her. Establish a routine for the pup, this will enable him to calm down very quickly. The schedule will need to consist of things such as regular potty breaks, eating times, relaxation periods, strolls, play time, teaching, etc. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to get unoccupied or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Norfolk Terriers stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will come to be easy because the pup will follow you at all times and not question your authority.
- Utilize only encouraging training techniques. Do not ever yell at, hit, or punish your Norfolk Terrier. It’s not only harsh but can result in behavioral challenges. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could possibly harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is broadly accepted as a practical coaching tool. If you practice this, the pup will discover that to get something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he will need to behave properly.
- Show the meaning of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse behaviors such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Celebrate excellent behavior and disregard or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you have to witness the Norfolk Terrier in the act and surprise her by shaking a canister of rocks. When you have done this make him correct his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and approval. Norfolk Terriers do not call to mind what transpired previously so chastening him after an event is futile.
- Be sure to call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause confusion and the Norfolk Terrier will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog needs to link his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, food, and such. If this transpires he will come willingly the minute you call out his name.
- Develop a training schedule that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes 3 times a day. Long repetitive trainings can be boring and the Norfolk Terrier will lose interest in the learning session. Make learning enjoyable and use trick training sessions to teach directions like sit, down, come etc.
- Bond with the Norfolk Terrier and both of you will definitely like your lessons. The pup needs to look forward to spending quality time with you and not avoid you by running away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the dog as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most significant lessons. The Norfolk Terrier will need to master how to coexist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, carefully introduce the dog when he is little to everyday endeavors and sounds. Take him to the shopping centre/ playground, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Learn all about cage training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are introductory lessons that every Norfolk Terrier puppy must learn. Understand all the idiosyncrasies as well as distinctive features of the breed. This will give you important information on how to properly train the doggie.
As a Norfolk Terrier parent you have several choices. You can choose to train the Norfolk Terrier on your own or register at a qualified training school. Training a Norfolk Terrier has several levels: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What values you decide to instruct is dependent on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Norfolk Terrier. As you know, different dogs, like humans, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Norfolk Terrier pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Norfolk Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂