We all dream of training the perfect Cumberland Sheepdog, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the training is performed with care and dedication. Don’t forget pups learn from day one and need to be informed what is right, what is wrong, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
Pups behave like small children, they crave frequent supervision and training. Training a pup need not be an ordeal, all you need to consider are a few basic guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Cumberland Sheepdog
- Till your pup is trained, you want to keep an eye on him at all times. If you aren’t able to then you must cage her. Design a schedule for the pup, this will serve to help him to settle down fast. The plan needs to incorporate things such as hourly potty breaks, feeding times, relaxation times, walks, play time, education, and so on. A pup that has a busy day has no time to get unoccupied and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to value you. Cumberland Sheepdogs stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then coaching will eventually become easy as the pup will comply with you at all times and not defy your power.
- Utilize only constructive training strategies. Do not ever holler at, strike, or abuse your Cumberland Sheepdog. It’s not just terrible but may provoke behavioral challenges. Using electric shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc may possibly injure the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a system that is widely accepted as a helpful training method. If you apply this, the pup will discover that to get anything like love, a stroll, or reward, he has to behave well.
- Explain the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not advocate behaviors like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or escaping open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and just ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will realize that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you should witness the Cumberland Sheepdog in the process and startle him by shaking a jar of pebbles. Once you have done this make him adjust his behavior and immediately give him a snack and praise. Cumberland Sheepdogs do not recollect what happened previously so scolding him after an occurrence is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name favorably. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger confusion and the Cumberland Sheepdog will think that if you call his name then it is something negative. The dog needs to associate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this transpires he will respond willingly the second you call out his name.
- Generate a teaching schedule that is short and sweet, say 10 minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy repeated trainings can be uninteresting and the Cumberland Sheepdog will lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons enjoyable and use trick training to explain directions like sit, down, come and more.
- Bond with the Cumberland Sheepdog and both of you will definitely have fun with your sessions. The pup needs to eagerly anticipate spending time with you and not avoid you by breaking away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the doggie quickly. Socialization is among the most important teachings. The Cumberland Sheepdog has to master how to be around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, carefully introduce the pup when he is small to regular tasks and sounds. Take him to the shopping centre/ park, present him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Get to know all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Cumberland Sheepdog puppy should understand. Know about all the characteristics in addition to distinctive features of the breed. This will give you useful ideas on how to properly educate the dog.
As a Cumberland Sheepdog parent you have several options. You can decide to train the Cumberland Sheepdog by yourself or register at a qualified training school. Training a Cumberland Sheepdog has several levels: preschool, obedience training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, as well as other elements like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What degree you decide to train depends on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Cumberland Sheepdog. As you understand, different dogs, like humans, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Cumberland Sheepdog pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Cumberland Sheepdogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂