All of us hope for training the perfect Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true when the training is performed with care and dedication. Never forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be advised what is right, what isn’t, and ideal socialization.
Pups are just like small children, they need regular guidance and instruction. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a nightmare, all you want to remember are a few basic guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
- Up until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you can not then you must definitely cage him. Put together a plan for the pup, that will help her to settle fast. The plan should incorporate things like regular bathroom visits, feeding times, relaxation periods, walks, play time, education, etc. A pup that has a hectic day has no time at all to become bored and get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to value you. Wirehaired Pointing Griffons live in packs and naturally follow a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then teaching will get easy as the pup will comply with orders at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Use exclusively constructive training methods. Do not ever yell at, smack, or abuse your Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. It’s not only harsh but might create behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could quite possibly hurt the animal.
- Teach the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is universally regarded as a reliable training tool. As you emphasize this, your pup will learn that to get something like affection, a walk, or treat, he has to behave well.
- Show the significance of “No,” from day one. Do not advocate actions such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Praise courtesy and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you should catch the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon in the act and startle her by shaking a canister of stones. Once you have done this help him rectify his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and appreciation. Wirehaired Pointing Griffons do not recollect what transpired previously so scolding him after an occurrence is futile.
- At all times call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggy needs to correlate his name with happy things like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this takes place he will respond willingly as soon as you call his name.
- Develop a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes 3 times a day. Extensive repetitive lessons can be uninspiring and the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is going to lose interest in the learning session. Help make learning fun-filled and use trick training sessions to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come et cetera.
- Connect with the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and both of you will definitely enjoy your lessons. The pup ought to eagerly anticipate hanging out with you and not keep away from you by running away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the puppy as soon as possible. Socialization is one of the most important teachings. The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon has to figure out how to be around other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, carefully introduce the dog when he is small to day-to-day activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, introduce him to children and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Discover everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, together with food training. These are basic lessons that every Wirehaired Pointing Griffon puppy should understand. Know about all the habits and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important ideas on how to properly teach the doggie.
As a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon owner you have lots of choices. You could very well choose to train the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon on your own or enlist at a high quality training school. Training a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon has many steps: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, showing and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What values you choose to teach is dependent on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. As you know, different dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Wirehaired Pointing Griffon pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Wirehaired Pointing Griffons.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂