All of us hope for training the perfect Whippet, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the training is performed with care and dedication. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and want to be instructed what is correct, what isn’t, and ideal socialization.
Puppies are like young children, they crave frequent guidance and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be an ordeal, all you want to keep in mind are a few straightforward rules:
Ten Tips For Training Your Whippet
- Until your pup learns, you want to keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you aren’t able to then you should cage her. Put together a routine for the pup, this will help him to calm down quickly. The schedule should incorporate things such as regular potty breaks, feeding times, sleep periods, walks, play time, instruction, etc. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to become bored or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to respect you. Whippets stay in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then coaching will eventually become easy as the pup will follow you at all times and not defy your authority.
- Utilize exclusively positive training methods. Do not scream at, hit, or punish your Whippet. It’s not only terrible but will lead to behavioral concerns. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth may harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is without cost.” This is a system that is widely accepted as an useful training method. If you practice this, your pup will discover that to experience anything like love, a stroll, or treat, he has to act well.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not endorse actions like jumping, growling, tug-o-war, barking, or running out of open gates and doors. Appreciate courtesy and just ignore or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will learn that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a habit you should witness the Whippet in the act and surprise him by shaking a can of rocks. When you have done this help him fix his behavior and instantly offer him a snack and praise. Whippets do not remember what transpired previously so reprimanding him after an event is useless.
- Be certain to call/use his name favorably. Do not say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce mental confusion and the Whippet will believe that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The dog needs to identify his name with pleasant events like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this happens he will respond willingly the instant you call out his name.
- Establish a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes three times a day. Prolonged repeated trainings can be boring and the Whippet is going to lose interest in learning. Help make training entertaining and use trick training to explain orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Whippet and both of you will certainly get a kick out of your lessons. The pup needs to expect spending time with you and not avoid you by breaking away or taking cover. Be sure to socialize the doggie early. Socialization is among the most significant lessons. The Whippet must learn to coexist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, carefully introduce the pup when he is small to normal tasks and noises. Take him to the shopping center/ park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Master all about house training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are kindergarten lessons that every Whippet puppy needs to grasp. Understand all the idiosyncrasies as well as peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important insights on how to successfully coach the puppy dog.
As a Whippet parent you have plenty of choices. You could very well choose to train the Whippet yourself or register at a professional training school. Training a Whippet has many levels: preschool, obedience training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What standard you decide to teach is dependent on you as well as the brainpower of your Whippet. As you are aware, different dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Whippet pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Whippets.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂