We all dream of training the perfect Miniature Schnauzer, a pet that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the training is performed with care and dedication. Don’t forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be advised what is correct, what isn’t, and proper interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like young children, they have to have regular guidance and teaching. Training a pup doesn’t have to be a challenge, all you have to bear in mind are a few basic rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Miniature Schnauzer
- Up until your pup is trained, you have to keep an eye on her at all times. If you are unable to then you need to cage him. Develop a schedule for the pup, this will enable her to settle easily. The routine needs to include things such as hourly potty visits, feeding times, rest times, strolls, play time, instruction, etc. A pup that has a hectic day has no time to become bored and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to heed you. Miniature Schnauzers stay in packs and naturally adhere to a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will eventually become easy because the pup will heed you at all times and not question your authority.
- Use exclusively positive training methods. Don’t shout at, strike, or abuse your Miniature Schnauzer. It’s not only harsh but can easily lead to behavioral concerns. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could harm the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a philosophy that is frequently regarded as a reliable training method. If you emphasize this, your pup will learn that to get anything like affection, a stroll, or reward, he has to behave well.
- Present the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not embrace actions such as jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doorways. Commend excellent behavior and ignore or walk away when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To remedy a behavior you will need to witness the Miniature Schnauzer in the process and startle him by shaking a jar of pebbles. Once you have done this make him straighten out his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and approval. Miniature Schnauzers do not recall what took place prior so reprimanding him after an event is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will result in confusion and the Miniature Schnauzer will presume that if you call his name then it is something negative. The doggy should correlate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this occurs he will approach happily the minute you call out his name.
- Create a training schedule that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Lengthy repeated trainings can be uninteresting and the Miniature Schnauzer is going to lose interest in learning. Make learning interesting and use trick training to teach directions like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Connect with the Miniature Schnauzer and both of you will definitely enjoy your sessions. The pup should anticipate spending time with you and not stay clear of you by running away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the doggy quickly. Socialization is one of the most important teachings. The Miniature Schnauzer has to learn to exist around various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. And so, slowly but surely introduce the puppy when he is little to everyday activities and sounds. Take him to the store/ playground, present him to children and other animals, and make him unafraid of the vacuum cleaner and garden hose.
- Study everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Miniature Schnauzer puppy has to learn. Understand all the mannerisms in addition to qualities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to properly instruct the puppy.
As a Miniature Schnauzer parent you have plenty of options. You may choose to train the Miniature Schnauzer by yourself or enroll at a qualified professional training school. Training a Miniature Schnauzer has numerous phases: kindergarten, obedience training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, as well as other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What standard you choose to teach depends upon you in addition to the brainpower of your Miniature Schnauzer. As you understand, different dogs, like human beings, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Miniature Schnauzer pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Miniature Schnauzers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂