All of us long for training the perfect Rafeiro Do Alentejo, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is well behaved and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the education is done with kindness and dedication. Bear in mind pups learn from the first day and really need to be advised what is correct, what isn’t, and appropriate socialization.
Pups act like kids, they require continuous guidance and instruction. Training a pup does not have to be a challenge, all you have to keep in mind are a few simple rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Rafeiro Do Alentejo
- Till your pup is trained, you must keep an eye on him at all times. Once you aren’t able to then you should crate him. Make a schedule for the pup, that will help her to calm down fast. The calendar will need to include things such as hourly potty visits, feeding times, relaxation periods, strolls, play time, instruction, and so forth. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all for being unoccupied or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to respect you. Rafeiro Do Alentejos stay in packs and naturally comply with a leader. If you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will come to be easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not challenge your authority.
- Utilize only constructive training techniques. Do not ever holler at, hit, or punish your Rafeiro Do Alentejo. It’s not only unkind but can easily induce behavioral challenges. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, etc could certainly harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in life is free.” This is a system that is commonly accepted as a helpful teaching method. As you emphasize this, the pup will learn that to experience something like affection, a walk, or snack, he will need to behave well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage actions such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doorways. Compliment excellent behavior and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a behavior you need to witness the Rafeiro Do Alentejo in the act and surprise him by shaking a jar of stones. As soon as you have done this make him straighten out his behavior and instantly offer him a snack and praise. Rafeiro Do Alentejos do not think of what transpired earlier so rebuking him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be certain to call/use his name positively. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will trigger mental confusion and the Rafeiro Do Alentejo will think that if you call his name then it is something bad. The doggie needs to relate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this takes place he will approach happily the instant you call out his name.
- Make a training schedule that is short and sweet, about 10 minutes three times a day. Prolonged repetitive sessions can be monotonous and the Rafeiro Do Alentejo will lose interest in the learning session. Help make lessons fun and use trick training sessions to show commands like sit, down, come and so on.
- Bond with the Rafeiro Do Alentejo and both of you will definitely get a kick out of your sessions. The pup needs to anticipate spending time with you and not keep away from you by running away or taking cover. Make sure to socialize the doggy early on. Socialization is among the most significant lessons. The Rafeiro Do Alentejo will need to learn to coexist with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, gradually introduce the dog when he is little to everyday activities and noises. Take him to the store/ dog park, introduce him to kids and other animals, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and water hose.
- Get to know all about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Rafeiro Do Alentejo puppy should understand. Understand all the mannerisms and qualities of the breed. This will give you useful information on how to properly instruct the puppy.
As a Rafeiro Do Alentejo owner you have lots of options. You could certainly choose to train the Rafeiro Do Alentejo yourself or register at a skilled professional training school. Training a Rafeiro Do Alentejo has many stages: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other components like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What degree you choose to instruct hinges on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Rafeiro Do Alentejo. As you realize, different dogs, like human beings, possess different talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Rafeiro Do Alentejo pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Rafeiro Do Alentejos.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂