All of us imagine training the perfect Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the teaching is performed with kindness and dedication. Realize pups learn from the first day and need to be shown what is correct, what is wrong, and ideal socialization.
Puppies are like young children, they demand regular supervision and instruction. Training a pup need not be a nightmare, all you have to remember are a few simple principles:
10 Tips For Training Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi
- Until your pup is trained, you need to keep an eye on him at all times. When you can’t then you must crate her. Put together a plan for the pup, that will enable him to settle very quickly. The routine needs to incorporate things like regular bathroom visits, feeding times, rest periods, strolls, play time, education, etc. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to become bored or get into mischief.
- Teach the pup to respect you. Pembroke Welsh Corgis live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. Once you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then training will get easy as the pup will heed you at all times and not challenge your power.
- Use exclusively positive training methods. Do not ever shout at, strike, or abuse your Pembroke Welsh Corgi. It’s not just harsh but will induce behavioral problems. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on can harm the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a mantra that is commonly regarded as a helpful teaching method. If you reinforce this, the pup will discover that to get something like affection, a stroll, or reward, he needs to behave properly.
- Present the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not advocate actions like leaping, mouthing, tug-o-war, howling, or running out of open gates and doors. Compliment proper behavior and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly learn that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you have to witness the Pembroke Welsh Corgi in the act and surprise him by rattling a can of stones. When you have done this help him improve his behavior and instantly offer him a snack and appreciation. Pembroke Welsh Corgis do not think of what happened previously so rebuking him after an event is useless.
- Always call/use his name favorably. Never say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the Pembroke Welsh Corgi will believe that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog should identify his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, walks, snacks, and such. If this takes place he will respond willingly anytime you call out his name.
- Generate a teaching routine that is short and sweet, say ten minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy repeated trainings can be boring and the Pembroke Welsh Corgi will lose interest in the learning session. Make learning exciting and use trick training to demonstrate commands like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Pembroke Welsh Corgi and both of you will definitely enjoy your lessons. The pup should eagerly anticipate spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by turning tail or hiding. Make sure to socialize the doggy quickly. Socialization is among the most crucial lessons. The Pembroke Welsh Corgi must definitely master how to be with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly but surely introduce the pup when he is small to regular events and noises. Take him to the shopping center/ park, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and water hose.
- Learn everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, in addition to food training. These are introductory lessons that every Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppy needs to understand. Understand all the characteristics and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you important insights on how to successfully educate the pup.
As a Pembroke Welsh Corgi owner you have numerous choices. You could very well choose to train the Pembroke Welsh Corgi yourself or sign up at a qualified professional training school. Training a Pembroke Welsh Corgi has numerous stages: preschool, behavior training, doggy sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What standard you decide to teach depends on you along with the learning abilities of your Pembroke Welsh Corgi. As you understand, various dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose well and both you and your Pembroke Welsh Corgi pup will have good times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Pembroke Welsh Corgis.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂