We all imagine training the perfect Finnish Lapphund, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and dependable at all times. Well dreams do come true if the teaching is done with care and dedication. Do not forget pups learn from the first day and really need to be shown what is right, what is not, and correct interpersonal skills.
Pups behave like small children, they really need frequent supervision and teaching. Training a pup does not have to be an ordeal, all you want to remember are a few basic rules:
Ten Tips For Training Your Finnish Lapphund
- Until your pup learns, you have to keep an eye on her at all times. Whenever you aren’t able to then you will need to cage him. Put together a calendar for the pup, this will serve to help her to settle quickly. The calendar needs to incorporate things like hourly potty breaks, eating times, rest times, walks, play time, exercise, and more. A pup that has a very busy day has no time to become bored and get into mischief.
- Train the pup to appreciate you. Finnish Lapphunds live in packs and instinctively comply with a leader. If you establish your dominance in no uncertain terms then teaching will come easy because the pup will follow orders at all times and not test your authority.
- Utilize only encouraging training tactics. Never yell at, whack, or abuse your Finnish Lapphund. It is not only harsh but might bring about behavioral challenges. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could possibly hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is free.” This is a system that is commonly accepted as a helpful training method. In the event that you execute this, the pup will discover that to get anything like love, a walk, or treat, he will need to act well.
- Present the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not embrace behaviors like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, yapping, or running out of open gates and doors. Applaud courtesy and ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To fix a habit you must witness the Finnish Lapphund in the process and startle her by rattling a container of stones. When you have done this make him correct his behavior and promptly offer him a treat and praise. Finnish Lapphunds do not recollect what took place previously so chastening him after an occurrence is of no use.
- Be certain to call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will cause mental confusion and the Finnish Lapphund will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The dog must identify his name with pleasant times like hugs, petting, strolls, snacks, and such. If this transpires he will approach willingly the moment you call his name.
- Make a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Prolonged recurring lessons can be boring and the Finnish Lapphund is going to lose interest in learning. Make training fun and use trick training sessions to explain commands like sit, down, come and more.
- Connect with the Finnish Lapphund and both of you will certainly have fun with your sessions. The pup should look forward to spending quality time with you and not stay clear of you by running away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the doggy early on. Socialization is among the most essential lessons. The Finnish Lapphund has to figure out how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the pup when he is little to normal activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ playground, present him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Master all about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and also food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Finnish Lapphund puppy has to learn. Learn about all the idiosyncrasies as well as qualities of the breed. This will give you important information on how to successfully coach the doggie.
As a Finnish Lapphund owner you have lots of choices. You may decide to train the Finnish Lapphund on your own or enroll at a skilled professional training school. Training a Finnish Lapphund has several levels: kindergarten, behavior training, dog sports, showing and conformation, as well as other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What standard you decide to instruct is dependent on you in addition to the learning abilities of your Finnish Lapphund. As you realize, different dogs, like humans, have different talents. Choose well and both you and your Finnish Lapphund pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Finnish Lapphunds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂