All of us long for training the perfect Brittany, a pup that is a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and responsible at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the instruction is done with kindness and focus. Keep in mind pups learn from the first day and really need to be taught what is correct, what is wrong, and appropriate socialization.
Pups are just like small children, they are in need of regular guidance and teaching. Training a pup does not have to be a chore, all you have to consider are a few straightforward rules:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your Brittany
- Til your pup is trained, you have to keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you are unable to then you should cage her. Put together a plan for the pup, that will serve to help her to settle fast. The schedule needs to include things such as regular potty breaks, eating times, break times, strolls, play time, education, and so on. A pup that has a very busy day has no time at all to get bored or misbehave.
- Train the pup to heed you. Brittanys stay in packs and instinctively adhere to a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then training will come to be easy as the pup will comply with orders at all times and not question your power.
- Use only constructive training strategies. Don’t scream at, attack, or abuse your Brittany. It is not just terrible but will bring on behavioral problems. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so forth could quite possibly hurt the animal.
- Show the pup “absolutely nothing in life is free.” This is a method of teaching that is universally accepted as a practical teaching method. If you execute this, your pup will find out that to experience anything like affection, a walk, or treat, he has to behave properly.
- Teach the significance of “No,” from the first day. Do not reinforce behaviors like jumping, yelping, tug-o-war, howling, or escaping open gates and doors. Appreciate courtesy and dismiss or leave when there is bad behavior. The pup will discover that if he misbehaves he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To correct a habit you should catch the Brittany in the act and startle him by shaking a container of pebbles. As soon as you have done this make him fix his behavior and immediately offer him a snack and approval. Brittanys do not remember what happened earlier so chastening him after an event is of no use.
- At all times call/use his name positively. Don’t say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Brittany will presume that if you call his name then it is something bad. The pup should associate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, strolls, treats, and such. If this happens he will approach willingly as soon as you call out his name.
- Develop a teaching regimen that is short and sweet, say ten minutes 3 times a day. Lengthy recurring trainings can be dull and the Brittany will lose interest in the learning session. Help make learning interesting and use trick training to teach orders like sit, down, come etc.
- Connect with the Brittany and both of you are going to enjoy your sessions. The pup must look forward to spending time with you and not stay away from you by running away or hiding. Make sure to socialize the dog quickly. Socialization is one of the most significant lessons. The Brittany must definitely learn to be with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. So, slowly introduce the doggy when he is small to normal tasks and noises. Take him to the mall/ playground, introduce him to children and other pets, and make him unafraid of the vacuum and water hose.
- Study everything about house training, leash walking, house breaking, as well as food training. These are basic lessons that every Brittany puppy should master. Learn about all the traits in addition to distinctive features of the breed. This will give you valuable insights on how to successfully coach the dog.
As a Brittany owner you have several choices. You can decide to train the Brittany on your own or register at a pro training school. Training a Brittany has many stages: preschool, behavior training, doggie sports, presenting and conformation, along with other facets like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and more. What standard you choose to instruct depends upon you along with the brainpower of your Brittany. As you are aware, different dogs, like people, have varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Brittany pup will have enjoyable times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Brittanys.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂