All of us dream of training the perfect Bernese Mountain Dog, a puppy that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well mannered and trustworthy at all times. Well dreams really do come true if the education is done with kindness and focus. Bear in mind pups learn from the first day and really need to be advised what is correct, what isn’t, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
Pups are just like children, they demand constant guidance and teaching. Training a pup does not have to be a challenge, all you have to remember are a few simple guidelines:
Ten Tips For Training Your Bernese Mountain Dog
- Up until your pup is trained, you want to keep an eye on him at all times. Whenever you can’t then you must cage him. Put together a schedule for the pup, this will serve to help her to calm down easily. The calendar has to incorporate things such as hourly bathroom breaks, eating times, sleep times, strolls, play time, teaching, et cetera. A pup that has a full day has no time at all to be bored or misbehave.
- Teach the pup to appreciate you. Bernese Mountain Dogs stay in packs and naturally follow a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will come easy as the pup will heed orders at all times and not defy your power.
- Utilize exclusively positive training methods. Never ever holler at, strike, or abuse your Bernese Mountain Dog. It’s not only unkind but can result in behavioral issues. Use of electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, et cetera can harm the animal.
- Teach the pup “absolutely nothing in life is without cost.” This is a mantra that is generally regarded as a valuable teaching method. In the event that you emphasize this, the pup will learn that to get something like affection, a walk, or snack, he has to behave properly.
- Explain the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage actions like leaping, growling, tug-o-war, barking, or escaping open gates and doors. Praise great behavior and just ignore or leave when there is bad conduct. The pup will certainly learn that if he is mischievous he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To deal with a habit you need to catch the Bernese Mountain Dog in the process and startle him by shaking a canister of pebbles. Once you have done this make him deal with his behavior and promptly offer him a snack and approval. Bernese Mountain Dogs do not recollect what happened prior so scolding him after an occurrence is useless.
- Be sure to call/use his name positively. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will create confusion and the Bernese Mountain Dog will think that if you call his name then it is something negative. The dog must affiliate his name with happy times like hugs, petting, strolls, food, and such. If this happens he will approach willingly the instant you call out his name.
- Create a training regimen that is short and sweet, say ten minutes thrice a day. Extensive repetitive lessons can be uninspiring and the Bernese Mountain Dog is going to lose interest in learning. Help make training enjoyable and use trick training to teach orders like sit, down, come and so on.
- Connect with the Bernese Mountain Dog and both of you will certainly love your lessons. The pup ought to expect spending time with you and not keep away from you by breaking away or hiding. Be sure to socialize the doggie very early. Socialization is among the most vital lessons. The Bernese Mountain Dog needs to figure out how to exist with other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, gradually introduce the dog when he is small to normal tasks and sounds. Take him to the shopping center/ dog park, introduce him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum cleaner and water hose.
- Discover everything about potty training, leash walking, house breaking, and food training. These are training 101 lessons that every Bernese Mountain Dog puppy must learn. Understand all the habits in addition to peculiarities of the breed. This will give you valuable ideas on how to effectively instruct the pup.
As a Bernese Mountain Dog parent you have lots of options. You can choose to train the Bernese Mountain Dog by yourself or enroll at a high quality training school. Training a Bernese Mountain Dog has many levels: preschool, obedience training, doggie sports, showing and conformation, in addition to other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, et cetera. What values you decide to train depends upon you as well as the brainpower of your Bernese Mountain Dog. As you understand, various dogs, like humans, possess varied talents. Choose wisely and both you and your Bernese Mountain Dog pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Bernese Mountain Dogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂