We all long for training the perfect American Pit Bull Terrier, a pet that’s a CGC or canine good citizen and is very well behaved and reliable at all times. Well dreams really do come true when the education is performed with kindness and focus. Remember pups learn from day one and want to be taught what is right, what is wrong, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
Puppies behave like small children, they crave regular direction and training. Training a pup does not have to be an ordeal, all you want to think about are a few simple guidelines:
Top Ten Tips For Training Your American Pit Bull Terrier
- Until your pup learns, you must keep an eye on him at all times. If you can’t then you have to cage him. Make a plan for the pup, this will help her to calm down easily. The schedule has to include things like hourly bathroom breaks, feeding times, rest times, walks, play time, training, et cetera. A pup that has a busy day has no time to be unoccupied and misbehave.
- Teach the pup to value you. American Pit Bull Terriers live in packs and naturally need a leader. When you establish your leadership in no uncertain terms then teaching will come easy because the pup will heed orders at all times and not question your authority.
- Utilize only encouraging training strategies. Don’t shout at, strike, or punish your American Pit Bull Terrier. It is not only unkind but can easily lead to behavioral problems. Using electrical shocks, prong collars, sprays, and so on could certainly harm the animal.
- Show the pup “nothing in this life is without cost.” This is a method of teaching that is widely accepted as a practical teaching tool. If you emphasize this, your pup will be taught that to experience something like affection, a stroll, or treat, he has to act well.
- Teach the meaning of “No,” from day one. Do not encourage actions such as jumping, mouthing, tug-o-war, yipping, or running out of open gates and doors. Applaud courtesy and just ignore or walk away when there is bad behavior. The pup will certainly realize that if he acts up he will lose his companion/playmate.
- To improve a behavior you need to witness the American Pit Bull Terrier in the process and startle her by shaking a container of pebbles. Once you have done this make him correct his behavior and instantly give him a snack and appreciation. American Pit Bull Terriers do not recollect what happened prior so scolding him after an event is useless.
- Make sure to call/use his name favorably. Do not ever say “Bad TOM,” or “No Tom,” this will induce confusion and the American Pit Bull Terrier will think that if you call his name then it is for something bad. The doggy must associate his name with pleasant things like hugs, petting, walks, treats, and such. If this transpires he will respond happily once you call his name.
- Make a coaching regimen that is short and sweet, say ten minutes three times a day. Lengthy repetitive trainings can be uninteresting and the American Pit Bull Terrier is going to lose interest in learning. Help make lessons fun and use trick training to teach commands like sit, down, come and so forth.
- Bond with the American Pit Bull Terrier and both of you are going to love your sessions. The pup ought to hope for spending quality time with you and not keep away from you by running away or hiding. Make certain to socialize the puppy as soon as possible. Socialization is among the most important teachings. The American Pit Bull Terrier should learn to be with various other animals, people, sounds, vehicles, and other activities. Therefore, slowly and gradually introduce the puppy dog when he is small to regular activities and sounds. Take him to the shopping mall/ playground, present him to kids and other pets, and make him unfrightened of the vacuum and garden hose.
- Learn everything about crate training, leash walking, house breaking, along with food training. These are training 101 lessons that every American Pit Bull Terrier puppy should master. Know about all the traits and peculiarities of the breed. This will give you useful insights on how to effectively instruct the doggie.
As a American Pit Bull Terrier owner you have lots of choices. You might choose to train the American Pit Bull Terrier yourself or register at a pro training school. Training a American Pit Bull Terrier has several stages: preschool, behavior training, dog sports, presenting and conformation, and other aspects like therapy dogs, hearing dogs, and so on. What standard you choose to teach depends on you as well as the learning abilities of your American Pit Bull Terrier. As you recognize, various dogs, like people, possess varied talents. Choose well and both you and your American Pit Bull Terrier pup will have exciting times together.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about American Pit Bull Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂