Training Otterhounds is pretty easy. You just need patience, dedication together with 5 easy to learn tricks and you’ll teach them successfully.
In This Article are five Useful Techniques on how you can break in the Otterhound successfully:
1. To prevent the Otterhound from becoming disoriented and so that they can begin to understand orders readily only a single person should train your Otterhound in the beginning. In instances where too many people try to train your Otterhound simultaneously it will halt progress.
2. One must always utilize positive reinforcements and feedback. Whenever your Otterhound obeys, you must praise the behavior so he can understand that what he did was correct. If a Otterhound doesn’t understand and follow commands, don’t berate him. Otterhounds are not as smart as people, they take longer to learn. What you must understand is that they may not readily comprehend all your instructions in the first teaching, it takes repetition to teach your Otterhound successfully. Don’t berate a Otterhound because he may begin to develop fear which will affect his learning and willingness to be broken in. Trainers can give them snacks or treats in order to praise the Otterhound, although you should not overuse it.
3. Teach orders one at a time. Try to train him on one skill after the other. In the event he cannot remember it, try to stay on that instruction only because trying additional orders will just confuse the Otterhound. Start with the fundamentals.
4. When you are giving orders, keep your tone pleasant so the Otterhound will happily submit to the instructions. Otterhounds respond to a low and confident tone. If you ever scream, he might become unresponsive and fearful.
5. Train your Otterhound in different environments. If you keep the Otterhound in just 1 particular environment like your home, he won’t have the ability to adjust to a different locale with new individuals. Take him to your park or throughout the neighborhood. This can assist your Otterhound get familiar with more people and breeds.
Otterhound Training: Conclusion
Teaching the Otterhound can sometimes be tough, but it’ll be worth it. In the end, you will be the one to benefit when your Otterhound is broken in. Who knows, he may even rescue you one day and pay back everything you taught him.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Otterhounds
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂