Greater than fifty percent of people allows their Smooth Collies to stay indoors and sleep on their couch or in the owner’s bed. For those of you who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Smooth Collie, following are some simple rules to follow when deciding what type of house you want to provide for your Smooth Collie.
Building Your Smooth Collie a Dog House: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to fit your Smooth Collie’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having approximately two feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Smooth Collie will probably also enjoy having that much room. The comfort zone for both people and Smooth Collies is about 33 percent of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Smooth Collie will need go get a ruler and measure your Smooth Collie. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Smooth Collie when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Smooth Collie should be able to see out the front entrance while both standing up and sitting. So the Smooth Collie will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or drag his tummy, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand over the Smooth Collie and measure the width of the broadest point of the Smooth Collie’s shoulders.
Building Your Smooth Collie a House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow below. To discourage bugs from invading the dog house, and taking your Smooth Collie’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Smooth Collie can use the heat of its body to heat the area if it is very cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will allow your Smooth Collie to escape the unpleasant weather. Your Smooth Collie can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Smooth Collie would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build a House for Your Smooth Collie: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the dog house make the floor just a bit slanted in the direction of the door and construct the roof a bit on an angle, as well. Make sure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In the United States most storms come from the west and south so make sure the house is facing a different direction. Most dog house plans recommend that the dog house door faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Smooth Collie’s Dog House
5. It is suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Smooth Collie a dog house. This makes it easier for you to empty out your Smooth Collie’s house. You should clean the Smooth Collie’s house as often as you give your Smooth Collie a bath.
Smooth Collie Dog House: Conclusion
If your Smooth Collie stays outside then he deserves to have a suitable place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Smooth Collie will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Smooth Collies.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂