Greater than 50% of people allows their Glen Of Imaal Terriers to live indoors and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of you guys who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Glen Of Imaal Terrier, here are some easy rules to follow when deciding the type of shelter you want to build for your Glen Of Imaal Terrier.
How to Build a House for Your Glen Of Imaal Terrier: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by making sure the house is big enough to accommodate your Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s potential adult size. Humans enjoy having around two feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. The Glen Of Imaal Terrier will also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both humans and Glen Of Imaal Terriers is about thrity-three percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Glen Of Imaal Terrier will need get a ruler and measure your Glen Of Imaal Terrier. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Glen Of Imaal Terrier should be able to see out the front door when both standing up and sitting. So the Glen Of Imaal Terrier won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is tall enough. Stand above the Glen Of Imaal Terrier and measure the width of the widest point of the Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s shoulders.
Building a Dog House for Your Glen Of Imaal Terrier: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from entering the dog house, and taking your Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s health into consideration, remember how vital ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Glen Of Imaal Terrier can use the warmth of its body to warm up the space if it is extremely cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will allow your Glen Of Imaal Terrier to escape the bad weather. Your animal can decide to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Glen Of Imaal Terrier a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the house make the floor just a bit angled in the direction of the doorway and construct the roof a little bit angled, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In the US most storms come from the south and west so ensure the house is facing a different direction. Most house plans suggest that the house opening faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s Dog House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Glen Of Imaal Terrier a house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s house. You should empty your Glen Of Imaal Terrier’s house as often as you give your Glen Of Imaal Terrier a bath.
Glen Of Imaal Terrier Dog House: Conclusion
If your Glen Of Imaal Terrier stays outdoors then he needs to have a comfortable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for your Glen Of Imaal Terrier will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Glen Of Imaal Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂