Over 50 percent of the population allows their Croatian Sheepdogs to live inside and sleep on the couch or in the bed. For those of y’all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Croatian Sheepdog, here are some easy rules to follow when determining the type of shelter you want to build for your Croatian Sheepdog.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Croatian Sheepdog: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your Croatian Sheepdog’s potential adult size. We enjoy having around 2 feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your Croatian Sheepdog will probably also enjoy having that much room. The comfort zone for both humans and Croatian Sheepdogs is around 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much room the Croatian Sheepdog will need get out a measuring tape and measure your Croatian Sheepdog. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Croatian Sheepdog when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Croatian Sheepdog should be able to see out the front door when both sitting and standing. So the Croatian Sheepdog won’t have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand over the Croatian Sheepdog and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build a House for Your Croatian Sheepdog: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow underneath. To discourage pests from entering the house, and taking your Croatian Sheepdog’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels underneath the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Croatian Sheepdog can use the heat of its own body to heat up the space if it is very cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will help your Croatian Sheepdog to escape the nasty weather. Your animal can choose to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Croatian Sheepdog would probably love having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Croatian Sheepdog a Dog House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the house make the floor just a little bit tilted in the direction of the opening and build the roof a little bit angled, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so make sure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house plans recommend that the dog house opening faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Croatian Sheepdog’s House
5. It is recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Croatian Sheepdog a dog house. This makes it easier for you to empty your Croatian Sheepdog’s home. You should empty your Croatian Sheepdog’s house as frequently as you give your Croatian Sheepdog a bath.
Croatian Sheepdog Dog House: Conclusion
If your Croatian Sheepdog stays outdoors then he deserves to have a pleasant place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for your Croatian Sheepdog will help you get going.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Croatian Sheepdogs.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂