More than fifty percent of owners allows their Boerboels to live inside and sleep on the couch or in their owner’s bed. For those of you guys who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Boerboel, below are our simple rules to follow when considering the type of house you want to build for your Boerboel.
Building Your Boerboel a House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to accommodate your Boerboel’s potential mature size. We enjoy having about 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. Your Boerboel will probably also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both humans and Boerboels is about thrity-three percent of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Boerboel will need get a tape measure and measure your Boerboel. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Boerboel when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Boerboel should be able to gaze out the front door while both standing up and sitting. So the Boerboel will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his stomach, make sure that entrance is high enough. Stand above the Boerboel and measure the width of the broadest point of the Boerboel’s shoulders.
Building Your Boerboel a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow underneath. To discourage pests from entering the dog house, and taking your Boerboel’s health into consideration, remember how vital ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels below the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Boerboel can use the heat of its own body to warm up the area if it is extremely cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial wall which will allow your Boerboel to escape the unpleasant weather. Your animal can choose to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Boerboel: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the house make the floor just a bit angled toward the entrance and build the roof a little bit angled, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so make sure the dog house faces a different direction. Most house blueprints recommend that the house opening faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the door then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Boerboel’s House
5. It’s suggested that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Boerboel a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Boerboel’s home. You should empty the Boerboel’s house as often as you give your Boerboel a bath.
Boerboel Dog House: Conclusion
If your Boerboel stays outside then he needs to have a comfortable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for your Boerboel will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Boerboels.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂