Over 50 percent of the population permit their Rat Terriers to stay inside and sleep on their couch or in the bed. For those of you guys who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Rat Terrier, below are some easy rules to follow when determining what type of shelter you want to build for your Rat Terrier.
How to Build Your Rat Terrier a House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your Rat Terrier’s potential mature size. People enjoy having approximately two feet of air overhead in a room to live without feeling boxed in. Your Rat Terrier will also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both people and Rat Terriers is approximately a third of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Rat Terrier will need get out a tape measure and measure your Rat Terrier. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Rat Terrier when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Rat Terrier should be able to see out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Rat Terrier will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand over the Rat Terrier and measure the width of the broadest point of the animal’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Rat Terrier a Dog House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the house several inches from the ground to allow air and water to flow below. To dissuade bugs from invading the house, and taking your Rat Terrier’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized openings in the walls underneath the eaves. Put a wind block inside the dog house so the Rat Terrier can use the warmth of its body to warm the space if it is really cold or windy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will permit your Rat Terrier to escape the nasty weather. Your animal can choose to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably love having a cushion or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
Building a Dog House for Your Rat Terrier: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain entering the dog house make the floor just a bit slanted in the direction of the doorway and build the roof a little bit on an angle, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most dog house plans recommend that the dog house entryway faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the doorway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Rat Terrier’s House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Rat Terrier a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Rat Terrier’s home. You should empty the Rat Terrier’s house as frequently as you give your Rat Terrier a bath.
Rat Terrier Dog House: Conclusion
If your Rat Terrier stays outdoors then he needs to have a comfortable place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Rat Terrier will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Rat Terriers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂