Over fifty percent of the population permit their Miniature American Shepherds to live indoors and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of you guys who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Miniature American Shepherd, below are some simple rules to follow when considering the type of house you want to build for your Miniature American Shepherd.
Building Your Miniature American Shepherd a Dog House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by ensuring the house is large enough to fit your Miniature American Shepherd’s potential adult size. We enjoy having about 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Miniature American Shepherd will also appreciate having that much room. The target zone for both humans and Miniature American Shepherds is about a third of their standing height. To figure out how much room the Miniature American Shepherd will need go get a tape measure and measure your Miniature American Shepherd. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Miniature American Shepherd when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Miniature American Shepherd should be able to peer out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the Miniature American Shepherd will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is high enough. Stand over the Miniature American Shepherd and measure the width of the widest point of the Miniature American Shepherd’s shoulders.
How to Build a House for Your Miniature American Shepherd: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow below. To discourage bugs from invading the house, and taking your Miniature American Shepherd’s health into consideration, remember how vital ventilation is. Put in a few nickel-sized openings in the panels below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the dog house so the Miniature American Shepherd can use the warmth of its body to warm the space if it is really cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will allow your Miniature American Shepherd to escape the bad weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved Miniature American Shepherd would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
Building a House for Your Miniature American Shepherd: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the house make the floor just a little bit slanted toward the opening and build the roof a little bit angled, as well. Make sure the dog house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so make sure the house faces a different direction. Most dog house blueprints recommend that the dog house opening faces east. The cold air won’t be able to whip through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Miniature American Shepherd’s House
5. It is recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Miniature American Shepherd a house. This makes it easier for you to clean out your Miniature American Shepherd’s home. You should clean the Miniature American Shepherd’s house as much as you give your Miniature American Shepherd a bath.
Miniature American Shepherd Dog House: Conclusion
If your Miniature American Shepherd lives outdoors then he deserves to have a pleasant place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Miniature American Shepherd will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Miniature American Shepherds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂