Greater than 50 percent of the population permit their Border Collies to stay inside and sleep on their couch or in their owner’s bed. For those of you all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Border Collie, below are our simple rules to follow when determining the type of house you want to build for your Border Collie.
Building Your Border Collie a Dog House: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is big enough to fit your Border Collie’s potential mature size. Humans enjoy having around two feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Border Collie will probably also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both people and Border Collies is about a third of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Border Collie will need get out a tape measure and measure your Border Collie. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Border Collie when he is in the most comfortable, relaxed and stretched out position he can get into. Your Border Collie should be able to look out the front entrance while both sitting and standing. So the Border Collie will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that door is tall enough. Stand over the Border Collie and measure the breadth of the widest point of the Border Collie’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Border Collie a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow below. To discourage pests from invading the dog house, and taking your Border Collie’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the walls below the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Border Collie can use the heat of its body to heat the area if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will permit your Border Collie to escape the unpleasant weather. Your Border Collie can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Border Collie would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of bedding to snooze on.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Border Collie: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the house make the floor just a bit tilted toward the entryway and build the roof a little bit angled, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In the United States most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most dog house blueprints recommend that the house entrance faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the opening then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Border Collie’s Dog House
5. It is recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Border Collie a house. This makes it simpler for you to clean your Border Collie’s house. You should empty the Border Collie’s house as much as you give your Border Collie a bath.
Border Collie Dog House: Conclusion
If your Border Collie stays outdoors then he deserves to have a suitable place to snooze and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Border Collie will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Border Collies.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂