More than 50 percent of the population allows their Basset Hounds to stay inside and sleep on their couch or in their owner’s bed. For those of you who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Basset Hound, here are our easy rules to follow when figuring out the type of house you want to provide for your Basset Hound.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Basset Hound: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to fit your Basset Hound’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having around two feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. The Basset Hound will probably also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both people and Basset Hounds is around 33 percent of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Basset Hound will need go get a ruler and measure your Basset Hound. Measure him standing straight up, resting on his haunches and above all measure the full dimension of the Basset Hound when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Basset Hound should be able to look out the front door when both standing up and sitting. So the Basset Hound will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his belly, make sure that door is tall enough. Stand above the Basset Hound and measure the width of the broadest point of the Basset Hound’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Basset Hound a Dog House: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the house several inches from the ground to permit air and water to flow underneath. To dissuade pests from invading the house, and taking your Basset Hound’s health into consideration, remember how vital air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized holes in the panels under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Basset Hound can use the warmth of its own body to warm the space if it is really cold or breezy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will permit your Basset Hound to escape the bad weather. Your animal can choose to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably love having a pillow or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build a House for Your Basset Hound: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the house make the floor just a bit angled toward the entrance and construct the roof a little bit angled, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the dog house doorway faces east. The cold air will not be able to rush through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Basset Hound’s Dog House
5. It is recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Basset Hound a dog house. This makes it simpler for you to clean out your Basset Hound’s house. You should empty your Basset Hound’s house as often as you give your Basset Hound a bath.
Basset Hound Dog House: Conclusion
If your Basset Hound lives outside then he deserves to have a pleasant place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for your Basset Hound will help you get going.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Basset Hounds.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂