More than 50% of the population permit their Standard Schnauzers to stay indoors and sleep on the couch or in the owner’s bed. For those of y’all who are wanting to know how to build a dog house for your Standard Schnauzer, below are some easy rules to follow when deciding what type of house you want to provide for your Standard Schnauzer.
How to Build Your Standard Schnauzer a House: Size
1. You should begin your dog house building process by ensuring the house is big enough to fit your Standard Schnauzer’s potential mature size. As humans, we enjoy having around two feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. Your Standard Schnauzer will probably also appreciate having that much space. The comfort zone for both humans and Standard Schnauzers is about 1/3 of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Standard Schnauzer will need get out a ruler and measure your Standard Schnauzer. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Standard Schnauzer when he is in the most stretched out, comfortable, and relaxed position he can get into. Your Standard Schnauzer should be able to peer out the front door while both sitting and standing. So the Standard Schnauzer will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his tummy, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand over the Standard Schnauzer and measure the width of the broadest point of the Standard Schnauzer’s shoulders.
Building a Dog House for Your Standard Schnauzer: Elevation
2. Remember to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow underneath. To discourage pests from invading the dog house, and taking your Standard Schnauzer’s health into consideration, remember how vital fresh air is. Put in a few nickel-sized openings in the walls under the eaves. Put a wind block inside the house so the Standard Schnauzer can use the warmth of its body to warm up the space if it is very cold or windy outside. Consider adding a partial panel which will help your Standard Schnauzer to escape the inclement weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Standard Schnauzer would probably appreciate having a pillow or some sort of bedding to sleep on.
Building a House for Your Standard Schnauzer: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the house make the floor just a little bit slanted toward the entrance and build the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Make sure the house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the interior.
4. In America most storms come from the south and west so make sure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the house doorway faces east. The cold air won’t be able to rush through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Standard Schnauzer’s Dog House
5. It’s recommended that you put hinges on the roof when you build your Standard Schnauzer a house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Standard Schnauzer’s home. You should empty your Standard Schnauzer’s house as much as you give your Standard Schnauzer a bath.
Standard Schnauzer Dog House: Conclusion
If your Standard Schnauzer lives outdoors then he needs to have a comfortable place to sleep and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these straightforward tips on building a dog house for the Standard Schnauzer will help you get started.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Standard Schnauzers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂