More than 50 percent of the population permit their Pointers to stay indoors and sleep on the sofa or in the bed. For those of you who are wondering how to build a dog house for your Pointer, to follow are our easy rules to follow when figuring out the type of house you want to build for your Pointer.
How to Build a Dog House for Your Pointer: Size
1. You should start your dog house building process by making sure the house is large enough to fit your Pointer’s potential adult size. As humans, we enjoy having around 2 feet of air above us in a room in order to live without feeling boxed in. The Pointer will also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both people and Pointers is around 33 percent of their standing height. To figure out how much space the Pointer will need go get a measuring tape and measure your Pointer. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and most importantly measure the full dimension of the Pointer when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Pointer should be able to gaze out the front door when both sitting and standing. So the Pointer will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his stomach, make sure that door is high enough. Stand above the Pointer and measure the breadth of the widest point of the animal’s shoulders.
Building Your Pointer a House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to elevate the dog house several inches from the ground to permit water and air to flow underneath. To discourage bugs from entering the dog house, and taking your Pointer’s health into consideration, remember how important air circulation is. Put in a few nickel-sized openings in the walls under the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Pointer can use the warmth of its body to warm the area if it is very cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial panel which will help your Pointer to escape the bad weather. Your animal can decide to just snooze in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner room. Your beloved Pointer would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of pallet to sleep on.
How to Build Your Pointer a House: Weather Resistant
3. To avoid rain entering the dog house make the floor just a little bit slanted in the direction of the door and construct the roof a bit angled, as well. Ensure the house is well insulated but you should not paint the inside.
4. In the United States most storms come from the west and south so ensure the house is facing a different direction. Most dog house blueprints suggest that the dog house entrance faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entryway then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Pointer’s House
5. It is recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Pointer a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Pointer’s home. You should empty the Pointer’s house as frequently as you give your Pointer a bath.
Pointer Dog House: Conclusion
If your Pointer lives outdoors then he deserves to have a pleasant place to snooze and get away from harsh weather. Hopefully these easy tips on building a dog house for the Pointer will help you start.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Pointers.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂