More than 50% of people allows their Chihuahuas to stay indoors and sleep on their couch or in the bed. For those of you all who are interested in how to build a dog house for your Chihuahua, to follow are some easy rules to follow when determining what type of shelter you want to provide for your Chihuahua.
Building Your Chihuahua a House: Size
1. You should begin your house building process by making sure the house is large enough to fit your Chihuahua’s potential mature size. We enjoy having around two feet of air above us in a room to live without feeling claustrophobic. Your Chihuahua will probably also appreciate having that much room. The comfort zone for both people and Chihuahuas is approximately thrity-three percent of their standing height. To calculate how much space the Chihuahua will need get a measuring tape and measure your Chihuahua. Measure him standing straight up, sitting on his haunches and especially measure the full dimension of the Chihuahua when he is in the most relaxed, comfortable, and stretched out position he can get into. Your Chihuahua should be able to peer out the front entrance when both sitting and standing. So the Chihuahua will not have to significantly lower his front shoulders or scrape his stomach, make sure that entrance is tall enough. Stand above the Chihuahua and measure the breadth of the widest point of the Chihuahua’s shoulders.
How to Build Your Chihuahua a House: Elevation
2. Don’t forget to raise the dog house several inches from the ground to allow water and air to flow below. To dissuade bugs from invading the house, and taking your Chihuahua’s health into consideration, remember how important ventilation is. Install a few nickel-sized holes in the panels under the eaves. Install a wind block inside the house so the Chihuahua can use the heat of its own body to warm the area if it is really cold or breezy outside. Think about adding a partial wall which will permit your Chihuahua to escape the unpleasant weather. Your Chihuahua can choose to just sleep in the front room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Your beloved pet would probably appreciate having a cushion or some sort of pallet to snooze on.
How to Build Your Chihuahua a House: Weather Resistant
3. To prevent rain coming into the house make the floor just a bit slanted toward the entrance and construct the roof a little bit slanted, as well. Ensure the dog house is well insulated but you shouldn’t paint the inside.
4. In America most storms come from the west and south so ensure the dog house is facing a different direction. Most house blueprints suggest that the house entrance faces east. The cold air will not be able to whip through the entrance then.
Add Hinges to the Roof of Your Chihuahua’s Dog House
5. It’s recommended that you place hinges on the roof when you build your Chihuahua a dog house. This makes it easier for you to clean your Chihuahua’s house. You should clean out your Chihuahua’s house as frequently as you give your Chihuahua a bath.
Chihuahua Dog House: Conclusion
If your Chihuahua stays outdoors then he deserves to have a suitable place to sleep and get out of harsh weather. Hopefully these simple tips on building a dog house for the Chihuahua will help you begin.
Don’t forget to check out these other articles about Chihuahuas.
Was this post helpful? If so, please take a minute to Tweet and Share below on Facebook. I would also love to know your thoughts so leave me a comment 🙂